The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   What fencing do you use? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/what-fencing-do-you-use-105129/)

caseymyhorserocks 12-03-2011 02:21 PM

What fencing do you use?

What fencing do you guys use? I use electric rope/twine. If you don't know what electric twine is, it is the thin electric rope, about the thickness of twine, hence the name. We also have wood board/post fence around her run that leads into her stall, it is only 12 ft by 24 ft and we traded some logs for the boards, we logged the logs from our yard when we first bought our place. Also, what is the estimate on how much it cost to put in? We put in ours a couple years ago, don't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't much. We use the moveable pigtails for fenceposts inside of our 8 ft tall perimeter fence (woven wire) but other plastic posts outside the tall fence as they are taller than the pigtail ones. I am not sure what they are called, they are kind of like plastic teeposts with built in hooks for the electric fence. This is what I mean by pigtail posts
Pigtail Post ~ Fence Posts

caseymyhorserocks 12-03-2011 02:26 PM

Ooops.. Could a moderator move this to Barn Maintenance? Thanks!

MHFoundation Quarters 12-03-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseymyhorserocks (Post 1252859)
Ooops.. Could a moderator move this to Barn Maintenance? Thanks!

Done :-)

I just redid a bunch of fence this year (stud lots - have the rest to do next spring..) we got treated telephone poles from the electric company to make posts (had some nasty straightline winds that sheared off a lot of poles, too short for them to use, perfect for me, each made 6-8 posts) didn't cost me a dime, they even dropped them off for me! Put up 5' high red brand horse fence and double strand of hot rope on top inside & out.

Someday when I hit the lotto, I'd love to have pretty plastic coated board fencing. Little salty to do 40 acres worth of pastures & lots! :-(

ohmyitschelle 12-03-2011 02:42 PM

I live in New Zealand where the majority of our horses live outdoors 24/7. So we have to rely on fencing a great deal!!
For me I board/graze my mare on a farm where it's very much DIY. There is an exterior wire fence line and that's it. The boarders all have their own sectioned off areas that we took when we moved in and fenced it ourselves. For me I use electric tape. I have the rope too but the thinner kind and whilst that was very cheap, it also doesn't hold my mare in as well as the tape. Last year I spent roughly $600 on fencing equipment, including an electric unit. I got about 10 warratahs - I believe they are called Y posts or something similar elsewhere, a huge 500m roll of the turbo tape that holds the strongest current with extra wires in it and another lot of tape. I also got a bunch of electric fence standards. It wasn't cheap but it's worked in keeping Honey in even when the unit isn't on. I unfortunately have to have at least 3 lines of tape up though because Honey is clever and can get out with two lines if not electric.
I hope this helped ^_^
Posted via Mobile Device

goneriding 12-03-2011 04:51 PM

Centaur

kayleeloveslaneandlana 12-03-2011 05:18 PM

At the barn we use Bi-polar tape. It's a really amazing fence for horses that like to break out. We have our horses out all year long and it does amazing. The only thing is if there is one little problem with it, it will short out the entire thing a lot. If you are able to keep up the the maintenance of it then it's a really nice fence!

Appyt 12-03-2011 05:25 PM

Our perimeter fencing is barbed wire. Gasp gasp... I have 80 acres and that is what is used to keep cattle in or out as the case may be.. My horses are all fine with it. We have 60 acres in one area and 20ish in the other. My barn has pipe gate panels for the pens right outside the big door. That pen leads to the arena that was here when we bought the place. Can't really tell ya what it cost to do as it is an ongoing process.

InStyle 12-03-2011 06:22 PM

Same as AppyT, we use 4 strand barb wire, and pipe gates. The set up was/is for cattle, and the horses have never had a problem. It was $2500.00 (or so) barb wire and posts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 12-03-2011 06:56 PM

three strands of electrified high tension cable, The corners are 5 inch wooden posts braced and in concrete. T posts every 20 feet. Along the driveway I used 4 strands of 1/4 electric rope and white vinyl tpost covers.

waresbear 12-03-2011 07:00 PM

For the paddocks, I used white estate fencing (with electric on top) to match the front of the yard. In the pasture, it's high tensile as there is trees falling on it in the winter. Just chainsaw them off, and go tighten up the wires with the attachment spinner.