The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Slow down please! :3 (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/slow-down-please-3-a-105160/)

QHriderKE 12-03-2011 08:22 PM

Slow down please! :3

During the summer, I've been working with my dads 6 year old paint mare. I decided to add her to my training schedule (lol's... I like to sound profesh) when I rode her once and she was awful at the trot and lope. She would run through my hand at both, would not circle at all in the lope. When I tried, it was a big fight and she'd either run, drop her shoulder and turn a super sharp corner or break into a trot.

So I was like "We shall teach you some respect to the bit and my leg!"

After many long and frustrating rides, this was the result:

I know it isn't great quality, the post I had the camera on was uneven, but hey, you get the gist.

How do you think I did?

waresbear 12-03-2011 08:35 PM

She's doing great from what I could see. Loping around all relaxed in an open field, take a bow, that is no small feat girl!

Skyseternalangel 12-03-2011 09:30 PM

Did you just lope her or did you work on slowing that trot down and getting it balanced?

QHriderKE 12-03-2011 09:39 PM

I built it all up from a walk, working on getting her trotting nice, even slow circles before even attempting to lope. I also worked on her transitions a lot, a did a couple rides of only collecting her going into a transition and getting her to hold it for a few strides after. That was a bit more frustrating for me.

Skyseternalangel 12-03-2011 09:54 PM

Well you're doing well :)

QHriderKE 12-03-2011 10:04 PM

Thanks :) I hope to have her slowed down and doing that on loose rein next year.

eventerjumpergirl 12-03-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHriderKE (Post 1253147)
During the summer, I've been working with my dads 6 year old paint mare. I decided to add her to my training schedule (lol's... I like to sound profesh) when I rode her once and she was awful at the trot and lope. She would run through my hand at both, would not circle at all in the lope. When I tried, it was a big fight and she'd either run, drop her shoulder and turn a super sharp corner or break into a trot.

So I was like "We shall teach you some respect to the bit and my leg!"

After many long and frustrating rides, this was the result:

Lizzy Day 4 -- Loping - YouTube

I know it isn't great quality, the post I had the camera on was uneven, but hey, you get the gist.

How do you think I did?

Looks pretty good. Her canter will slow down with work and become a little more even. She's a bit short strided but that's natural for her I would assume. did you have a tie down on her by chance?

QHriderKE 12-03-2011 10:10 PM

No, I rode her with a martengale twice and then left it cause I was too lazy to put it on, mostly....

eventerjumpergirl 12-03-2011 10:27 PM

Well a martingale will help keep from the head tossing, but it is temporary. Just keep steady with your hands, use a fair bit of seat and stay light handed. Suppling exercises and shoulder/hip control exercises as well will really help with balance.

tinyliny 12-03-2011 10:46 PM

I want that horse!