The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Need New Ideas! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/need-new-ideas-105168/)

csimkunas6 12-03-2011 09:32 PM

Need New Ideas!

So I have had my yearling for 10months now!! Cant believe how fast time has flown by! He will be 20months old in about 8 days. Ive run out of things for us to do.

Heres a list of what we can do:

Back
Walk, Trot, and Canter in hand and on lunge line(although I dont do this often)
Gives to Pressure
Trailer Loads
Stands for Fly Spray, and Hose
Stands Tied
Goes through puddles, over tarps, over small cross rails,ect, ect
Ground Drives with halter and bridle
Stands at a mounting block
Has been both saddled, and bridled
Tractors, trailers, lawn mowers, cars, semis, other horses, dogs, chickens, cats, nothing bothers him.
He disengage's his hindquarters
Respects my space
Will move as I walk towards him, either hindquarters, shoulder

We are working on side passing, almost have it completely down!!

I just need new ideas, and exercises for us to work on. Obviously I cant ride him at 20months old so it has to be all ground work stuff. We trail walk quite often as well. His ground manners are superb! He will even back up if I start backing up, moves forward when I move forward, ect, ect.

Any and all ideas/exercises, and help would be greatly appreciated!

waresbear 12-03-2011 09:34 PM

Ground driving?

csimkunas6 12-03-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1253255)
Ground driving?

Done....both with bridle and halter :D

Skyseternalangel 12-03-2011 09:36 PM

Have you trailer-ed your baby somewhere yet? Or you could borrow a horse from a friend and teach him to pony.

You could clicker train him to learn tricks or touch things with his nose (keeps him thinking and it's fun)
You could work with a stabilizer ball and teach him to play with it (kick it, roll it, jump on it, etc.)

There's plenty of things :)

waresbear 12-03-2011 09:38 PM

Right, sorry it's on your list, wow. I can't think of anything, except maybe how to stand square, like for showmanship, & a pivot on the haunches. Good job by the way, you sound very committed to this horse's training, lucky boy.

csimkunas6 12-03-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1253258)
Have you trailer-ed your baby somewhere yet? Or you could borrow a horse from a friend and teach him to pony.

You could clicker train him to learn tricks or touch things with his nose (keeps him thinking and it's fun)
You could work with a stabilizer ball and teach him to play with it (kick it, roll it, jump on it, etc.)

There's plenty of things :)

Hes trailed about 3 or 4 times now, does fine. Couldnt be better actually. As far as ponying, I am allowed to ride a few other horses, but I doubt Im allowed to pony. The horses I am able to ride are very dominant with other horses.

As far as a ball goes, I got one, he had no interest in it. I worked on desensitizing with that, same with a plastic bag, a snuggie, a tarp, and everything else I could think of.

I was thinking of training him tricks though, someone at the barn mentioned how they think he would be great at them due to him catching on so quick!

Monty77 12-03-2011 09:42 PM

Turn on the hunches? Lunge with a saddle and bridle on??
Posted via Mobile Device

csimkunas6 12-03-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1253260)
Right, sorry it's on your list, wow. I can't think of anything, except maybe how to stand square, like for showmanship, & a pivot on the haunches. Good job by the way, you sound very committed to this horse's training, lucky boy.

Your fine. Standing square might be a great one to work on! Especially for confo pics! LOL....thanks for the tips!

Thanks so much! He flies through everything I throw at him, and absorbs it like a sponge! LOL, He remembers things that I taught, or worked with him on when I first got him, which was 10months ago! Smart boy! ;)

MHFoundation Quarters 12-03-2011 09:45 PM

Sounds like you're doing a great job with him!

Teaching him to set up would be a good one, spend some time fine tuning him like a showmanship horse. Maybe a goal could be leadless patterns?

You could also introduce him to clippers if you haven't already.

csimkunas6 12-03-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty77 (Post 1253265)
Turn on the hunches? Lunge with a saddle and bridle on??
Posted via Mobile Device

He lunges with saddle and bridle on already. I dont want to do a whole lot of lungeing with him being so young, as it is Ive done a bit more than I originally wanted to, but we've got it down now ;)

Now that I think of it though, turning on the haunches has been something we have done from day 1....Ive always wanted him to move, and respect my space. So thats done too :D Had a blonde moment there lol