The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutting mane for Western pleasure

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  myMischieviousClu779 
#1 ·
I have a four year old mare that im not sure what route to take with her, im debating between western pleasure and barrels, however im considering cutting her mane short like for western pleasure, just for a change. im just looking for opinions on wether to cut it or leave it untill i want to show, im bad at making decisions. other peoples opinion will help :) annnd if i decide to cut it, how long should i leave it inches wise and should i use a scisors? or wet it down first to make sure its even or any tips on that would be great :) annd also is it bad to cut it in the winter? will it make her neck colder if she hasnt had a chance to get use to no mane on her neck? thanks~!

#2 ·
Don't "cut" it if you can avoid it. Pull it and then use a razor comb or the razor scissors to cut it. I usually pull mine down to about 5 inches and then band it and cut the last inch off w/ the razor scissors. The mane should be about 4 inches for english and then maybe a bit less for western. I keep mine a bit longer because my guy has a really thick neck and I feel like it looks better a little longer....

#3 ·
Well technically it's not cut, it's pulled, but you can cut it to almost where you want it and then pull the rest or use those pulling blade combs to get rid of the blunt look. There has been a trend in the last few years to leave the mane long (if it's a nice, even mane) and band it long. As for barrel racing, a long mane looks wicked in the wind. Don't do anything in the winter, the mane does keep their necks warmer. If you're gonna go the short route, it really depend on the texture of the mane & what looks good on the horse & it's neck length. Start off longer & eyeball it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.