The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Muck muck and more muck. Would you cover the muck with straw? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/muck-muck-more-muck-would-you-105170/)

lancek 12-03-2011 11:06 PM

Muck muck and more muck. Would you cover the muck with straw?

We threw down a bale and it sure made a difference.
Made me wonder if it would be worth covering
the whole area in front of our horses stall. It would take
maybe 5 bales.
Would you?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-03-2011 11:12 PM

Probably not because whatever you put down eventually would have to be picked up and wet, muddy, stanky straw gets really heavy.

Legend 12-04-2011 12:11 AM

Ewe, I personally would not. We have a round bale out with our horses and it's out in the weather, so whenever it gets wet and stuff for the time being its fine, but after a while, once their is hardly anything left but about a few inches of pure hay it gets really nasty. It starts stinking, molding, gets extremely heavy to lift, and just turns into a pain. I do not recommend doing it.

Kayty 12-04-2011 12:46 AM

No, straw will rot when it gets wet, making the problem worse - plus it is really hard to clean up when it starts to rot!

Try putting a layer of dolomite, sand or crushed gravel over the wet section, and dig a channel along the edge to allow the area to drain.

New_image 12-04-2011 06:42 PM

Agreed. Straw will only make things worse in the long run (It'll seem nice for a few days but quickly rot and eventually be a big mess you'll need to scoop up with a tractor/bob cat)

Use sand.

myhorsehasmentalissues 12-04-2011 09:42 PM

In the future plant rye grass where the problem is when it starts to get colder. It is a thick grass that helps with erosion and helps the dirt from getting torn up. You can mow it just like a lawn.

MyBoyPuck 12-05-2011 08:20 PM

Wood chips help with muddy paddocks to some degree. Just make sure there's no Black Walnut in there.

lancek 12-06-2011 03:39 PM

Thanks everyone...
I think I might look at some wood chips next spring.

mls 12-06-2011 03:46 PM

Rot? In Michigan in the winter? Likely not. It's freezing right now. Shavings will get wet and mold too.

Heavy - and no fun to clean - yes. But picked through a least every other day and it will be fine.

It's extra work - but to get through the winter until you can scrape down and add fill in the spring, straw will be fine.