The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   First time owner seeking advice (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/first-time-owner-seeking-advice-105204/)

Karenmc 12-04-2011 10:25 AM

First time owner seeking advice

I am seeking advice from others, I have had a couple of shares with ponies for my six and half year old daughter, I have now got a full loan with a 12.2h cob, I am a small lightweight adult so we can both do it together.

I have gone to part livery as I work during the week and needed a yard with help and expertise available as we have only been riding/sharing for the last 14months, we wanted this so we would have the feeling of the pony being our own and learn so much.

We have a lovely pony, easy to catch, lovely nature and good on the ground, the owner a retired lady who is not very well wanted a small adult or child to look after her, she is aware of our experience but felt that we could really love and care for her.

My yard owner said she is very green and barely been ridden although I had an hour riding her and my daughter did when we went to visit she was fine but was quite fast in trot so needs time, and we had someone else in front.

We have had her since last Sunday so I went on Monday last week to walk her round etc, and I have had my daughter on lead rein yesterday and today for only half hour, I was going to get on but have lost my confidence I think being on my own in the sand school, I dont want to be like this or I will never get on.

I have come away today a bit worried that I should have spent more time with her in the sand school on the ground, but I just want to build it up each week as I get more confident handling her, we were at the stables for 3 hours yesterday and two today grooming the other time.

I am not sure what to do, should I ask my YO to come in sand school with me and I ride her each week for 30 mins then do 30mins with my daughter on lead rein, I think she would be happy with this but I would have to pay for my time.

My yard owner is a bit shocked that we have been given her given that she is not very well trained for us and we are really inexperienced but advises that doing more ground work will help because she is a lovely natured pony.

I really want this to work and I am more than happy to do this because we will gain more experience than having a pony that does everything you want.

There really friendly on the yard and so helpful and don't know how much I could ask her to do if anything for me during the week.

I am not sure if she would need the time through the week as well if I do things at the weekend.

I don't want to lose confidence etc because we both love going.

Any advice please.

tinyliny 12-04-2011 01:51 PM

I am not sure I understood your ulitimate question. Are you asking should you keep the pony? Work with the trainer? or?

I think putting the pony in training with the trainer for a few months would benefit you all. And after the trainer has put some miles on her, then she can work with you and daughter along , training humans and horses.

Don't be too quick to decide whether or not it will work out. Things usually look really daunting at first, then get scaled down to size in the following week or so.

Karenmc 12-04-2011 01:58 PM

Thanks for your message, basically what is the best thing to do, i will definately keep the pony because she is such a sweet and nice natured pony when on the ground, I will work with my yard owner and has you say it's a little daunting at first.

I am only there at weekends so was going to ask yard owner to try and do something through the week.

I know it's all about time and patience, just didn't expect her to be so green this was not the advice I had been given.

I think it's just been a bit of a shock, I don't like to keep asking the yard owner.

Thanks

tinyliny 12-04-2011 02:40 PM

Can the YO do some training with her.?

Karenmc 12-04-2011 02:46 PM

I have sent her an email to see if she could do something through the week, hopefully she can and I will take my time and be patient at the weekends, just hope the weather stays reasonable so it allows me to do this.

Barry Godden 12-04-2011 03:25 PM

Sounds to me that you have found a little gem of a pony and have put together a workable venture which can give you and your daughter a lot of fun. Just go to it and enjoy the time.

Yes, there is a lot to learn about horses - so ask a few questions.
But you can ‘t turn it all down just because it all feels new and strange.

And the only way to feel comfortable on a horse - of any size - is to ride it. So ride.

Set yourself a schedule over the weekend. On both days go into the sand arena with the horse and go round and round in circles. First at walk, then at trot, then a few weeks away at a slow lope.
Do changes of rein, do whoahs and stands. Do a few back ups.
In a couple of weeks lay some poles on the ground and go between them, over them and around them. Time your sessions.

You've got to build up your muscles in your centre core and develop the automatic reflexes - and only through practice will that happen.

If your pony will allow you to lead a child on a lead rein, then it will allow you a few liberties if you make a mistake or two.

After just a couple of weeks you can't let this scenario go. You need to practice to get your confidence - so ride.

If you haven't got a hat - buy one and wear it.
If you feel a padded riding jacket will help, then buy one of those too - just make sure you feel comfortable in it.
Buy a book or two.

Enjoy your horse

Karenmc 12-05-2011 08:19 AM

Thank you so much for your response, it does make me feel a whole lot better when I get emails from others, it just gives me some assurance.

I really appreciate the advice.

brandilion 12-05-2011 10:43 AM

Karen,

Congrats on your new pony & your big adventure!

I think you've gotten really good advice. Another thought is to aske the YO if there's a student or want-to-be student who could work your pony during the week. Maybe there is someone who doesn't have their own horse who would jump at the chance to have access to one. I would definitely get the YO's advice on this, as you don't want someone treating or using the pony contrary to how you want. Or if your pony is trained enough, perhaps it could be used as a lesson horse during the week? Just keep in mind that in lessons, it might be treated more timidly or more roughly than you would.

I would also recommend getting a lesson, at least here and there, for both you and for your daughter.
Read lots of books, watch videos, watch others in lessons, ask questions, visit this forum. Knowledge is power, but you definitely need to just get on and ride! Ride in a sand pen (don't know what that is, I'm guessing what we would call a round pen or maybe arena??), or somewhere you can feel safe. Just like Barry said, walk, trot, stop, back up. Work with her on the ground, groom her, but make sure you RIDE! Riding is the surest way to overcome your fears of riding!

John Lyons is a clinician and his first rule of working with horses is that you can't get hurt, and the horse can't get hurt. So don't do things that are beyond your ability, but do stretch yourself. And if you need help, ask for it.

Keep us updated on your progress, your daughter's progress, and your pony's progress!

Karenmc 12-06-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandilion (Post 1254834)
Karen,

Congrats on your new pony & your big adventure!

I think you've gotten really good advice. Another thought is to aske the YO if there's a student or want-to-be student who could work your pony during the week. Maybe there is someone who doesn't have their own horse who would jump at the chance to have access to one. I would definitely get the YO's advice on this, as you don't want someone treating or using the pony contrary to how you want. Or if your pony is trained enough, perhaps it could be used as a lesson horse during the week? Just keep in mind that in lessons, it might be treated more timidly or more roughly than you would.

I would also recommend getting a lesson, at least here and there, for both you and for your daughter.
Read lots of books, watch videos, watch others in lessons, ask questions, visit this forum. Knowledge is power, but you definitely need to just get on and ride! Ride in a sand pen (don't know what that is, I'm guessing what we would call a round pen or maybe arena??), or somewhere you can feel safe. Just like Barry said, walk, trot, stop, back up. Work with her on the ground, groom her, but make sure you RIDE! Riding is the surest way to overcome your fears of riding!

John Lyons is a clinician and his first rule of working with horses is that you can't get hurt, and the horse can't get hurt. So don't do things that are beyond your ability, but do stretch yourself. And if you need help, ask for it.

Keep us updated on your progress, your daughter's progress, and your pony's progress!

Posted via Mobile Device

Karenmc 12-06-2011 02:09 PM

Just had a bit of a shock was all prepared to go and really enjoy and the emails back make me feel so much better, my yard owner has said she will lunge and get her lightweight daughter on her through the week.

Just had a text from yard owner she said she was very well behaved but she is worried about the way she is moving from behind and would like a vet to have a look.

I have only had her on loan for a week and half, don't know what the problem could be and I am liable for fees.
Posted via Mobile Device