The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   new here...tw question (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/new-here-tw-question-105233/)

Mellow Mel 12-04-2011 04:09 PM

new here...tw question

Hi Everyone,
I am in the process of thinking about purchasing my first horse. It is a 15 yr old very well broke TWH. I am not getting him because he is gaited, but because he is calm and very safe. I will be trail riding with him. The barn I am at (have leased there for awhile on a different horse) is mainly QH. I was told that it is fine to dog walk a walker so I can walk with the QH with no issues. Is this correct? My horse seems perfectly content to dog walk....I had never ridden a gaited horse before this so it is all new to me....
Thank you!

lilruffian 12-04-2011 04:38 PM

I'm not too sure but i dont see how you could have any troubles walking your horse with the others. Walkers have their own special gaits but they can walk trot and canter just like any other horse

Darrin 12-04-2011 05:22 PM

Dog walking walkers is one of the things done for training so you wont have a problem there. Where you will have a problem is that even dog walking on a lot of walkers is faster then non gaited breeds. Depends on how much overstepping your horse does, how long their legs are and how fast a walk the non-gaited horse has.

I've been able to go slow enough for about half the non gaited horses I've ridden with so you'll be able to find some in the barn to ride with. Being a QH barn, probably your biggest problem horses to ride with will be those trained western pleasure.

Mellow Mel 12-04-2011 05:27 PM

he seemed very pokey in his dog walk...he is a little dude with little legs...14.3...i just wanted to make sure that it would ok and comfortable for him not to be in a gait

Macslady 12-04-2011 06:55 PM

No, no problem, in fact it is great that he has a slow walk. The only thing is the advantage you will have in not trotting! :D

gunslinger 12-04-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrin (Post 1254076)
Dog walking walkers is one of the things done for training so you wont have a problem there. Where you will have a problem is that even dog walking on a lot of walkers is faster then non gaited breeds. Depends on how much overstepping your horse does, how long their legs are and how fast a walk the non-gaited horse has.

I've been able to go slow enough for about half the non gaited horses I've ridden with so you'll be able to find some in the barn to ride with. Being a QH barn, probably your biggest problem horses to ride with will be those trained western pleasure.

That's my experience too. My wife rides a QH and it's painful for my SSH to go that slow.

My neighbors have QH's, and they seem to walk a little faster.

walkinthewalk 12-04-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mellow Mel (Post 1254080)
he seemed very pokey in his dog walk...he is a little dude with little legs...14.3...i just wanted to make sure that it would ok and comfortable for him not to be in a gait

He doesn't poke along because he's little, thats just who he is:D

My 14.3H TWH (my avatar) is a powerhouse with a powerhouse reach. His idea of a dog walk is my other two Walkers' idea of moving into their running walk. When I am walking beside him the last 1/2 mile home, it's all I can do to keep up with him:-P

Conversely, one of my other two has the mental ability to "walk" with whomever is beside him. If he's with my little powerhouse guy, he goes step for step.

If he's with a horse that doesn't want to move out as fast, he slows down to stay with that horse:-)

Joe4d 12-04-2011 08:54 PM

walkers tend to be more comfortable moving out a bit faster. Some putz along just fine. Some get worked up and pissy if they have to go that slow. an umm No walkers shouldnt trot. I tend to do my own thing on the trails though.

arrowsaway 12-05-2011 03:47 PM

If he is pokey as you said, it shouldn't be a problem. But as Joe said, some walkers have the ability to trot... but should they? Not really... You want to discourage any tendency they may have to perform a trot. Otherwise, what's the point in owning a TWH? >>

hhadavis 12-05-2011 04:00 PM

My walker is 15 hands, and on a trail rides he is just ready to go and his walk usually outwalks the QH's I ride with...and he always gets this look on his face when he finally looks behind him and realizes hes leaving all his buddies:) LOL He does mellow out after the first 20 minutes or so, and tends to pace his walk with the others, or I just stick him behind my qh mare (usually have 4-6 riders) and she makes sure he doesnt pass her too:) I really hate to hold him back (but I do on occasion) because he loves trailrides and we dont do it as often as I should, and honestly hes not trying to trot/run or any funny business, its just his normal stride. He is so much fun to ride though, he has that" ok we are riding and by god we are going to do this attitude" all the time its funny. I have also used him to give kids rides at some parties my friend brings his horses to. He loves kids and honestly I probably wouldnt even have to hold the lead rope (but I do) because he sticks to me when hes got kids on who he can sense dont know much about horses. But another note, I really get my exercise too leading him around because again he walks with a purpose, and I still want him to enjoy himself too.