The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Chewing wood... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/chewing-wood-105347/)

LuckyRVT 12-05-2011 04:06 PM

Chewing wood...

Just interested in what you guys think: why do u think horses do this? How do u stop it? My horse started doing it when I placed her in a smaller pin to get her away from "big momma" who was chewing her up(I assume bordom?), my friends horse just does it, where ever he is. I have heard bordom, something missing in their diet, pain, teeth problems, etc. Both our horses have their teeth done regularly and only seem "in pain" after they have eaten all that wood! Whats ur thoughts?

Cherie 12-05-2011 05:14 PM

Couple of questions --

How much hay does your horse get to eat a day?

What kind of hay are you feeding? Is it grass hay, alfalfa hay, a mixture of the two or ????

If you are feeding grass hay or mostly grass hay, your horse probably is deficient in Calcium as grass hays and ALL grains are lacking Calcium. But, I can give you my recommendations if you tell me a little more about your horse's diet.

trailhorserider 12-05-2011 05:41 PM

My 16 month old gelding thinks he's a beaver. And he gets quite a bit of alfalfa (and bermuda to munch on between his meals of alfalfa). He also gets a dose of vitamin/mineral supplement once a day over a little Purina Strategy and access to a Purina mineral block. I hope it's just because he's a baby and teething. I have boards that the water trough rests on and he chews the edges. He will also chew his mom's tail if I don't drizzle it in hot sauce. Sigh.

LuckyRVT 12-05-2011 06:19 PM

Both horses get hay in the am, afternoon, and pm. Grass hay mainly. My horse gets sweet grain am/pm and her horse gets a blander grain am/pm (that sweet stuff make him a wired freak). Both horses get a supplement for her coat (kinda like the show shine stuff but off brand). I don't think they get calcium supplements. "my horse" is not officially bought but is on reserve for me :). Her body score is 5/9 perfect! And I am very "shy" about changing her diet to much, collic scares me. (working in the vet world makes u paranoid). Why do you think calcium def?
Posted via Mobile Device

LuckyRVT 12-05-2011 06:31 PM

She gets a flake and 1/2 three times a day of grass hay and has a field to munch on (snow has not covered it this year ....yet....)
Posted via Mobile Device

Cherie 12-05-2011 09:04 PM

Grass hay and all grain are deficient in Calcium. Both green and cured grasses lack Calcium -- some worse than others. Cereal grains and grasses like winter wheat, rye grass and 'lush' grass in the spring can be so deficient in Calcium and Magnesium that you see fatal cases of Milk fever and grass tetany in cattle. Alfalfa 'usually' is not but can be. It all depends on how depleted the soil it that it is grown on.

Pica - eating wood, dirt, trees, tails, etc is the main symptom of a mineral deficiency and it is usually Calcium and frequently Magnesium. Colts, horses and calves that eat manes and tails are always deficient in minerals. Horses can chew wood if they are confined or have other problems like ulcers. But, when they devour wood and swallow it like they are hungry for it, they are missing something in their diets.

Magnesium is needed for the assimilation of Calcium, so Calcium is useless in a diet if Magnesium is missing. Vitamins A and D are also necessary to utilize Calcium, Phosphorus and Magnesium. I do not even take Calcium tablets myself that do not have Magnesium in them. [I take Citrical Plus.]

Since I have always lived where there was depleted soils, I have always had to feed grass hay that was very low in Calcium. And, Like I said before, all grain is deficient in Calcium, no matter where or how it is grown.

I use a loose mineral that is about 24 -25% Calcium and 2% Magnesium. It is 5% Phosphorus and 22% salt. We used to breed a lot of outside mares to our stallions and nearly all of them came in mineral starved. Some would stand around and eat mineral like it was grain. I had a lot of people tell me that when their horses got home, it was the only time they had not eaten trees and wood. It was simply the first time they were not starved for Calcium.

If you have a doubt that this is the problem, cut down some young green saplings -- willow, cottonwood and poplar are the best. Throw them in a pen with all of the leaves and twigs attached and see how long it takes your horses to eat them up.