The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Concern about my new horses behavior around other horses. (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/concern-about-my-new-horses-behavior-105356/)

tbrantley 12-05-2011 07:06 PM

Concern about my new horses behavior around other horses.

I have a new seven year old TWH. For the last two years he has been used for a stud horse. Before I bought him, he was cut because I didn't have a need for a stallion. He was cut on November 1, 2011. I brought him home on November 14, 2011. I was very excited and could not wait to ride him. I noticed around my other horses he still acted what I will call studdly. He would drop his manlyhood and call out to the other horses. I would have to correct him and calm him down. I would ride up and down my road in front of the barn and the other horses. He was interested in the other horses but when I corrected him he would calm down and pay attention to my cues. Then I took him on our first ride. I rode him w/ a friend because I was not sure how he would do. He reared up just a little trying to get to the mare, I brought him into a one rein halt. Then I had him go on down the road. I didn't have any trouble untill we came across some other riders on the trail. He started calling to them, I touched him w/ my spurs and encouraged him to go on and not pay attention to them. He wanted to follow them and reared just a little again. I brought him to a one rein halt again and them encouraged him to go on pass them. He hesitated and I had to spur him and get him going. I called the guy that I bought the horse from, he said he thought the horse was still acting like a stud at that give him a little time and he would be fine. He thought it was because he had been used as a stud for the last two years. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I really like this horse and hope that this is just a tempory behavior and will be able to stop it soon. I haven't had a chance to ride him again because of the weather. Help!!!:cry:

BellaMFT 12-05-2011 08:19 PM

It sounds like you handled the situation really well. My husbands horse did the same things when we first got him. He was cut around six years old. He still acts studdy. He'll mount my mare in the pasture but doesn't act up on the trails as much any more. He does call out every time we go out. We always joke that Snickers has to announce his arrival. Just keep one him and he should settle down.

tbrantley 12-05-2011 08:37 PM

Thank you for your comment. I am really nervous about the rearing and the horse wanting to follow other horses. This horse is very smooth to ride and I really like just about everything else about him. I can't wait for the weather to improve some. It has been raining for several days and the trails that I ride are flooded. I continue to work w/ him everyday brushing him down, braiding his mane and tail. I am trying to gain his respect and my confidence while handling him. I hope that I can get him out of the calling to the other horses. I also forgot to mention that he is still seperated from my other horses. He is kept in a stall or in the ajoining field next to them. I don't think he is ready to be added w/ them yet. He is not completely healed from being casterated. I am a little concern about putting him w/ the others.

bbsmfg3 12-05-2011 09:31 PM

I sure would not put him with the other horses until he is completely over this. Someone could get hurt seriously. Since you have never handled one of these, I'd highly recommend a good trainer. Shouldn't take a good training more than 30 days to settle him down. He apparently was not mannered as a stud, otherwise he wouldn't be acting like this now. It will take some rather severe corrections to cure this in the short term. You may not even want to know how they fix him. In the long term, without good training, he could go either way. This is how outlaws are made, not intentionally, put inadvertently.

tbrantley 12-05-2011 09:47 PM

So you think his actions is pretty serious. Now, I am concern. I was hoping it will get better as he adjust to the new environment and being a gelding. He is easy to handle as I walk him back and forth to the barn around the other horses. He has nosed the horses across the fence without being aggressive toward them. I was told that it takes 3 months for every year that they were a stud to make the change. Is there anything to that, can someone give me some feed back on it. I haven't had any experiences with studs but I have geldings.

What should I look for in a trainer?

Have I taken on more than I can handle???????

BellaMFT 12-05-2011 09:56 PM

30 days of training couldn't hurt. I would look for a training that is willing to work with you and teach you what they are doing. It'll make more sense to the horse if you can do what the trainer has taught him. I wouldn't give up yet. It'll take some time. I do think that once he is healed that kicking him out with the other horses will do him some good. We put Snickers out with 3 old mares they taught him some manners.

tbrantley 12-05-2011 10:07 PM

Did you put him out with all the horses at the same time or did you gradually introduce him to a horse one at a time? I have seven horses. 5 geldings and a mare and a yearling filly.

I was thinking that I should introduce him to a horse at a time in an ajoining field.

Any ideas on what is best. I don't want any of my horse getting hurt.

BellaMFT 12-05-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbrantley (Post 1255648)
Did you put him out with all the horses at the same time or did you gradually introduce him to a horse one at a time? I have seven horses. 5 geldings and a mare and a yearling filly.

I was thinking that I should introduce him to a horse at a time in an ajoining field.

Any ideas on what is best. I don't want any of my horse getting hurt.

I would really wait tell he is completely healed.

For us since, Snickers was healthy we put him out with all of the horses. For me, I feel that horses are meant to be in a herd and they will work out the pecking order. There will be a few scuffles but they figure it out.

tbrantley 12-05-2011 10:24 PM

Thank you BellaMFT,

About how long does it take them to completely heal? It has been a month and 4 days. I agree with you that horses are herd animals. The person I bought the horse from said he has been stall kept his whole life. He has never had the chance to run free. I know just putting him out in a field by himself was a new experience for him. It did my heart good to see him run around kick up his heels with tail high in the air.

I can't wait to put him in with the others but I will make sure that I have someone here to help me if things go bad.

Thanks you for your help

BellaMFT 12-05-2011 10:33 PM

I would think that by 2 month post surgery he should be well healed but that being said I would check with a vet to make sure. I would just call you vet and ask them what they think.

If he has been in a stall his whole life I think getting him in a herd would be good for him. He needs to learn how to act with other horses.

Good Luck! If you can get through this rough spot I'll bet he'll be a great horse. We have had Snickers 5 years now. He is the best horse. I can put anyone on him and he'll take care of them.