The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Beginner Jumping Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/beginner-jumping-critique-105403/)

hlwk 12-06-2011 05:52 AM

Beginner Jumping Critique

I've only just started learning jumping recently (I did a couple of group lessons back near the start of the year... but they were more "point, jump and stay on" type lessons) so I thought I'd post here for some critique. :-)

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2950/jumping2.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1579/jumping3.jpg

MyBoyPuck 12-06-2011 08:54 PM

Very nice start. Back is flat, you're looking ahead, just enough out of the saddle to free up your horse's back. Two things to work on, supple elbows to follow your horse's head a bit more, need a little more release. Heels could be down a bit more. You're lower leg is where it should be, so just think about letting your heels sink down naturally rather than forcing them down.

SRCM16 12-07-2011 10:21 AM

Looking good for just starting out; I can remember when I did.. it was bad. LOL.

1.) Shorten your stirrups a whole or two so you can get off your horse's back a little easier, and so you can have your heels down.

2.) Move your hands more towards the middle of your horse's neck, grab mane if you need to in the beginning, so you won't be on his mouth as much. If your horse takes off after the jump move them about a quarter way to the middle so he has just enough release, but not enough that you can't control him.

You can practice your jumping position on the flat too. That's what my instructor made me do so it got stuck in my brain; also helps with heels down. :-) Good luck.

ErikaLynn 12-07-2011 11:08 AM

Wow. You look great! Only thing I see is your heals can come down more, maybe put your stirrups up one hole.

You seem very strong in the tack. I also think your release is really nice in the second picture. Keep it up.

Snizard93 12-07-2011 11:35 AM

Looking good :-)

Only thing I would say is heels down, and get a little closer to the horses neck maybe? And try and give a little more release. Relax :-)

hlwk 12-08-2011 07:49 AM

Thank you for the feedback. I did have big issues with my heels a couple of months ago, I've only recently felt what it feels like to be able to relax your weight down into your ankles rather than jam your toe upwards. Sounds silly, but it really was a moment that clicked for me. Now I guess I just need to translate that to jumping (I tend to get a little excited when I jump cause I don't get to do it often, so naturally everything I learn goes out the window.)

I'm glad everyone noticed the hand issue. I was unclear as to what I should do with them at the start. I'll keep everyone's advice in mind. :)

Allison Finch 12-08-2011 07:57 AM

Very nice start!!

I agree with shortening your stirrups a hole. It is so nice that you don't seem to have the most common problem I see....having your lower leg slide back. Great seat placement and I have very little problem with your release. I see no sign of the release being restrictive, at all. In fact, the lower photo shows some slack in the offside rein.

I say shorten the stirrup, concentrate on relaxing your ankle so that it can absorb movement and settle in the stirrup and keep up the great work!!

hlwk 12-08-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison Finch (Post 1258620)
Very nice start!!

I agree with shortening your stirrups a hole. It is so nice that you don't seem to have the most common problem I see....having your lower leg slide back. Great seat placement and I have very little problem with your release. I see no sign of the release being restrictive, at all. In fact, the lower photo shows some slack in the offside rein.

I say shorten the stirrup, concentrate on relaxing your ankle so that it can absorb movement and settle in the stirrup and keep up the great work!!

Thank you! The jumps are only very small cross-rails but I am hoping when they eventually increase in size I'll have the same lower leg position. I'm also pretty conscious of not jumping before the horse, and as a result kinda get left behind a little. I'm just trying to work on that balance and moving with the horse, rather than being pulled along or jumping ahead.

Does anyone also have any tips for going into a light seat? My instructor tells me go just put more weight in my heels than usual to alleviate some weight of the horse's back and I find when I do I go into a weird two-point/three-point sorta thing, and I become a little unbalanced.