The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Color? White underneath, chocolate on top (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/color-white-underneath-chocolate-top-105413/)

Lauradod 12-06-2011 09:16 AM

Color? White underneath, chocolate on top

Hello,

I am looking at a horse that has roan coloring, but not a coloring that I can find named anywhere. Her coloring from a distance is like dark chocolate, but she actually has a white/grey underneath and dark on top - reverse gulla?
Also note that it is December, and she has her winter coat. Her poll was shaved for a bridle path, and it is a smokey grey.
I like her coloring, but wondered what to call it.

Thanks in advance!

lilkitty90 12-06-2011 09:22 AM

she could be a regular grulla with the roan gene, if she has the dorsal stripe. saying this because most roan horses wont have the "roan" look to him in the winter. they will look more like their base colors.

NdAppy 12-06-2011 09:28 AM

A lot of horses are white/grey under their winter coats.

Without pictures I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to what color the horse as they can be described in so many different ways.

Lauradod 12-06-2011 04:18 PM

I hadn't thought about quite how different she might look when it isn't winter... interesting. Good thing I have been listening to my friend's statement "You can't ride color!"

Lauradod 12-06-2011 04:36 PM

picture

1 Attachment(s)
I am trying to insert a picture. It may be an attachment.

smrobs 12-06-2011 04:41 PM

I would call her a regular red roan. Lots of roan horses are darker in winter and then shed off to a more traditional roan color in the spring/summer.

NdAppy 12-06-2011 04:41 PM

She looks like a really dark liver chestnut/sorrel roan. Have you only had her with her winter coat or do you have some summer coat pictures?

Lauradod 12-06-2011 04:49 PM

No summer pictures. Just the ones I have taken. Just visited my neighbor's silver roan that I have known for a year, and was surprised to see how much whiter the roans's coat has become in the past week.

Guess I will have to be sure not to name my horse based on her color, since it might be different in a few months. :lol:

lilkitty90 12-06-2011 07:56 PM

yeah i would say a liver chesnut roan, or sorrel roan or strawberry roan. there are so many different ways to describe the exact same color.

soenjer55 12-06-2011 11:46 PM

My bet is red roan. The white will probably get bigger as she sheds, but that color on her face is what makes me almost certain!