The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Confusion? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/confusion-105481/)

HorseLoverHunter 12-06-2011 10:17 PM

Confusion?

Yeah I know, I am posting another thread about an hour later... but this is another thing that has been bothering me besides the saddle-fitting thing. Well, here's my story. Pluto's right lead is very stiff right now, so he doesn't like to pick it up right now. For him to pick it up, I lift my right rein, kick and hit Pluto with the crop, and he goes. Of course, I also have to keep him bended. (These instructions all from my trainer) That means, I have to lean my right rein kind of into his neck and pull back just a LITTLE so his neck bands (If that makes much sense to anyone?), and push with my inside leg. Now, here's where my problem comes in that really gets me mixed up. I can get him to pick up the lead, but I can't get him to stay bended at the same time. Now, if I kicked him instead of just putting pressure his inside, would that confuse him? Could I kick him with both feet, but the inside foot a little bit harder to keep him on the rail? If he comes off the rail, he goes back to the trot and can only pick up his right lead in the corners. Help?

waresbear 12-06-2011 10:27 PM

Wouldn't hurt to have a chiropractor look at him. In fact it could only help him. For the last 20 years now, all my horses that I ride & show get regular chiropractric treatments, best money I ever spent.

HorseLoverHunter 12-06-2011 11:39 PM

Hes not my horse, but if he was I would for sure consider that.

tinyliny 12-07-2011 12:32 AM

YOu are trying to do too many things at once. Decide what you want, predominantly, and go for that. Then go for the next thing.

So, if the correct lead is most important, do the setup bend and set him into that right lead, and don't worry about him being a little counter bent at first or if he comes off the wall. Just get the needed lead.
Then, address the next thing. put him back on the rail. Then ask for a bit of a bend to the inside, but be gentle. If he is old and stiff, he may not be able to balance himself so well without being bent to the outside. this is the way a horse canters without a rider on him; bent to the outisde or nuetral. Bending to the inside is part and parcel with asking him to step under with his inside rear leg and lift and carry his rider in a more engaged manner.

But my point, is just keep in the front of your mind the ONE thing you want from our horse, ask for it, get it, give the "thank you" release of pressure and then move on to the next thing you want of him. If he can't do A +B, back down to A only, then go to B and on . . . .

HorseLoverHunter 12-07-2011 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1257178)
YOu are trying to do too many things at once. Decide what you want, predominantly, and go for that. Then go for the next thing.

So, if the correct lead is most important, do the setup bend and set him into that right lead, and don't worry about him being a little counter bent at first or if he comes off the wall. Just get the needed lead.
Then, address the next thing. put him back on the rail. Then ask for a bit of a bend to the inside, but be gentle. If he is old and stiff, he may not be able to balance himself so well without being bent to the outside. this is the way a horse canters without a rider on him; bent to the outisde or nuetral. Bending to the inside is part and parcel with asking him to step under with his inside rear leg and lift and carry his rider in a more engaged manner.

But my point, is just keep in the front of your mind the ONE thing you want from our horse, ask for it, get it, give the "thank you" release of pressure and then move on to the next thing you want of him. If he can't do A +B, back down to A only, then go to B and on . . . .

Ok, thank you! I think I know exactly how I am going to first try this on Sunday! I just have to REMEMBER it. =)