The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Raising your own meat... (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/raising-your-own-meat-105518/)

loveyourgrits 12-07-2011 10:25 AM

Raising your own meat...

How do you feel about raising your own cows, chickens, pigs, goats etc; for MEAT?!

I personally do it. Each year we get two yorkshire hogs, and one steer to take to butcher...its cleaner more heathier meat you'll never get from a grocery store. However, I have found some people think its repulsive and least appetizing. To each his own, but I just want to know what you guys think :).

Speed Racer 12-07-2011 10:28 AM

I'm getting chickens next year to raise for meat and eggs, and hopefully will be able to raise a beef steer in the next couple of years as well.

I like knowing where my meat came from, and how it was treated before it got on my plate. :D

gigem88 12-07-2011 10:34 AM

Cows and chickens here! They are sooooo much tastier than the stuff at the grocery store. And the eggs are better, too.

LetAGrlShowU 12-07-2011 10:40 AM

I dont raise my own, but we shop at a local butcher mart and its been great to have better tasting eggs and meats! We dont buy meat at the grocery store now, ever.

boofa 12-07-2011 10:56 AM

We raise our own meat..We have 3 pigs & two steers and 10 chickens.. The chicken are layers not meat,but we do raise meat chickens in the summer.. People always tells us how cruel we are to do such a thing,but let me tell you our animals are so happy..The pigs are the funniest they run around a play all day.. They all have clean bedding fresh food and water everyday..I even scatch the pigs backs they love it.. I love raising my own food,it is much better for us and the animals this way..

wyominggrandma 12-07-2011 11:17 AM

We are happily munching on two steers we raised all summer and fall. Enjoy every bite

Speed Racer 12-07-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boofa (Post 1257456)
People always tells us how cruel we are to do such a thing

Probably while stuffing their faces with a Double Whopper with bacon and cheese! :rofl:

As long as they don't ever see what their meat was originally, they have no problem eating it. Hypocrisy at its finest! :-P

Wyoming, you can send me some of that moo. I love home raised beef!

kait18 12-07-2011 11:27 AM

Chickens currently and getting a steer next year and hopefully a pig as well

we share the eggs with our family :) no one shops for eggs anymore there is a huge taste difference we think

iridehorses 12-07-2011 11:28 AM

I wanted to do that but my wife has a problem with feeding her food. When we had chickens, she wouldn't even eat their eggs.

I bought a calf and a pig a few years ago from a farmer and then had them butchered. She was OK with that just as long as she didn't see them first ... city girl.

Walkamile 12-07-2011 11:31 AM

We raised our own turkeys for a few years, best ever. The trick when raising your own meat ect. is not name them cutesy names. Our turkeys were named "Turkey", "Dinner", "giblets" , well you get the idea ! It was more for me as I do get a bit attached. But they were the best turkeys we've ever had and plan on doing it again this coming year.

Also like many of you, we plan on rebuilding our chicken coop and having laying hens again and I also want to raise some roasters.

Wish we had more pasture as I'd also like to raise a beef critter.

I also like knowing what my meats have been fed. Especially after battling cancer, changes your views on a few things.