The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Help me identify what this could be (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-me-identify-what-could-10556/)

appylover31803 06-24-2008 07:05 PM

Help me identify what this could be

Today i noticed that the underside of Gem's feet were very odd. They were not smooth and his left rear hoof had a bump in it. I was only able to take his left side as he started to get impatient on his right side when i was trying to get a good angle with the phone.

Left hind
The bump i first noticed is on the left side of the frog
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...2408_16451.jpg

Left front
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...2408_16481.jpg

I know his feet look bad. They are getting trimmed Friday and also x-rayed Friday as well. It was supposed to be yesterday (monday) but the vet's truck broke down and we're trying to determine where his coffin bone is, so until we know, the farrier's not going to trim.
It also took me a lot of time to pick up his front feet as we were rarely able to do it, so please don't make any comments about him needing a trim. I'm on top of it. I just want to know why the bottom of his feet look that way.

SonnyWimps 06-24-2008 09:35 PM

is Gem lame? any soreness when you press hard on the bump?

My guess would either be maybe a callus, a weird looking abcess or the hoof flaring or some sort.

Maybe barefoothooves would have a better answer cause I am just really guessing on what it might be.

NorthernMama 06-24-2008 10:14 PM

Re: Help me identify what this could be

Quote:

Originally Posted by appylover31803
Today i noticed that the underside of Gem's feet were very odd. They were not smooth and his left rear hoof had a bump in it. I was only able to take his left side as he started to get impatient on his right side when i was trying to get a good angle with the phone.

I know his feet look bad. They are getting trimmed Friday and also x-rayed Friday as well. It was supposed to be yesterday (monday) but the vet's truck broke down and we're trying to determine where his coffin bone is, so until we know, the farrier's not going to trim.
It also took me a lot of time to pick up his front feet as we were rarely able to do it, so please don't make any comments about him needing a trim. I'm on top of it. I just want to know why the bottom of his feet look that way.

OK, whoa there and back up. don't make any comments about him needing a trim, but what is that bump???? Your horse's feet are seriously in trouble. Get the farrier out then ask questions. I hope you have a farrier you can trust. This horse has issues. Start at the start -- your farrier and then ask. I'd love to see the results after the trim.

PoptartShop 06-25-2008 03:15 AM

Could he be lame? Does he respond like he's in pain or something when you touch it/press on it? :? Maybe when the farrier comes out he can look at it.

Miss Katie 06-25-2008 06:56 AM

looks like the frog has rotted away underneath the point of the frog and the top part has been bent over to the side. He might have a bit of thrush or something for that to happen in the first place.

appylover31803 06-25-2008 11:50 AM

Before we moved him, we would sign him up to get trimmed, and it would never get done, so we moved them to a new place on the 15th. The vet came out on Friday the 20th and said he was lame. He wouldn't even pick up his front feet. So he's been on stall rest and been getting bute 2x a day. The vet was supposed to come back out on Monday to take x-rays of his feet to see where his coffin bone is, and he and the farrier would have a trimming plan. But the vet's truck broke down, so he had to cancel so we cancelled the farrier aswell. The vet and farrier are coming out on Friday to do the x-rays and trim. We trust the vet and farrier and both are well known in our area and do a great job.

I just thought that someone might have an idea of what that bump could be before the vet/farrier came out.

Yes, he also has thrush. We have koppertox and also i'm going to buy what Sonny has recommended and I will be applying that today.

He is also lame in both front feet, and to see if he's foundering, we need the x-rays.

I did not press on the bump, but when i brushed off his foot, he didn't seem to mind at all. Both his front feet were very tender and I had a tough time getting him to allow me to pick both of them out. I had to pick a little, and put his foot down and repeat a handful of times. I also had to take a break because my back was starting to hurt ( It's not fun having a 9 year old horse get very frustrated and try and kick out at you, when all you're trying to do is help him. This has been a problem, picking out his feet, since before we had him, and for us to actually be able to lift his feet and pick them is a huge thing for him)

I will be taking pictures of his feet after they are trimmed too.

barefoothooves 06-25-2008 01:39 PM

Well, his bars are waaaay overgrown, and that's making weird ridges in his hind foot, and this is one time I would actually cut some out of the bottom of a foot, which is rare for me.. I don't see the lump on the frog that you are worried about, maybe it's the bar that you are looking at? The hard ridge next to the frog. And yes, it could cause a pressure point in his sole and make it bruise, so a good trim will take care of that, and it's unlikely that you would cause pain with a pick or brush, but body weight could make it tender. Fortunately, hind feet don't tend to get as sore since they usually pack most of the weight on the front end. The frog doesn't have any real flappy parts that I can see, so I would be tempted to leave as is (unless in person I find white, powdery funk, but I'm going by a single photo here).

Now the front foot, the frog has a flap at the apex just begging to be trimmed off (conservatively!) I would trim the heels a tad and clean up the quarters, but the toe..if you look at the sole next to the white line (I can copy and repost your pics with the area marked if you would like) you will see a bulge in the sole. That could be the coffin bone pushing down, or it could be toe callous trying to form, but from the picture it's hard to say. Either way, DO NOT TRIM that part of the sole!!!! Just trim the toe wall to slightly longer (or "higher") than that bulge and bevel the crap out of it. Again, from a single pic it's hard to know what we are looking at exactly. But my assumption is that's the coffin bone bulging, explaining why he's reluctant to pick up his feet.Looks like there might be a bruise at the end of the apex of the frog, but can't tell from here. I've seen this in a lot of horses that go too long without a trim and live on soft pasture. It's going to take some frequent trims to get those hooves back in shape, but is sure fixable, and after the first good trim, this horse will be much happier. The hind looks far worse than the front does.

appylover31803 06-25-2008 01:59 PM

I'm going to bring my camera out with me today as it takes better photos and see if i can get better pictures of all 4 of his hooves.

I have the buldge on his hind foot outlined in a red box, hopefully it will be more visible
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...08_16451-1.jpg

Barefoot, you said on his front hoof it looked like his coffin bone could be coming through? Can you show me where?

barefoothooves 06-25-2008 02:46 PM

Okay, what you boxed in is part of his bar. It's REALLY overgrown, and will need to be pared down to level with the sole. Not a fungus or anything, just needing trimmed.

I took your pic of the front hoof and marked with yellow, and pardon my drawing, I did it with a mouse in windows paint. LOL But the crescent moon shape is what I"m trying to highlight. I am not saying the bone is "coming through" the foot, just pushing downwards some, causing the sole to bulge. The sole isn't thinned out where I think the bone will be popping through, it's just causing some pressure. I see it a lot in hooves that haven't been trimmed in a while. I am also posting pics of a horse that hadn't been trimmed in months and has similar thing going on, and what that one trim did for it, okay? the horse in my pics never needed shoes and his feet took about 4 (4 week interval trims) months to get that bulge taken care of, and I never cut the sole once. His back feet looked similar to Gem's as well, but I DID trim those bars down. I didn't take pictures of them, though I wish I did now.

I don't see your horse in any state that should make you panic, and no, he DOESN'T need shoes to protect that sole! A proper trim will do it, now that you can get Gem on a regular schedule. Just keep him off rocks for a while if you can until that bulge starts to dissappear.

http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/2037_bulge_1.jpg

http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/20..._07_2007_1.jpg
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/20..._07_2007_1.jpg

appylover31803 06-25-2008 05:31 PM

Thanks again Barefoot! :D

I now see what you mean about his front feet. When the farrier comes out, i'll point everything out to him. And I will also be telling Tom what you've said.

We have the number of a good trimmer, so we'll call her up, but i think for right now, We're going to let the barn owner's farrier trim Gem just for Friday, since this has been planned for a while.

I'm glad that he doesn't need shoes. I don't have any problems with people shoeing a horse, i just feet that Gem and Vega don't need it.

I was at that barn earlier today, but started feeling really crumby, so i left. After i slept for a bit, I'm feeling much better and plan on going up and just hanging out with the horses. If i feel up to it, i'll pick Gem's feet and get pictures.