The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Do you know of anyone who uses one of these? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/do-you-know-anyone-who-uses-105605/)

Beauseant 12-08-2011 12:09 AM

Do you know of anyone who uses one of these?

Pre-Vent Horse Feeders Craig Cameron Endorsement - prevent sand ingestion, choke, feed waste

Pre-Vent Horse Feeders Testimonials - prevent sand ingestion, choke, feed waste

As some of you may remember, Beau suffered a severe choke during a horrible snowstorm a few weeks ago. We managed to find a vet to come out and tube him as ours refused to travel due to the weather and her being a great distance from our barn.

Right or wrong, we felt abandoned and started searching for another vet closer to our barn.

We found a fantastic vet and had him come out to examine Beau's teeth. He had moderate points, and the teeth were floated. BUT it was the vet's opinion that while the teeth may or may not have contributed to Beau's choke, that his temperment was the biggest factor. he gave us some suggestions such as adding non swallowable rocks to his feed bucket, soaking his grain, or switching him to extruded nuggets. he also suggested we buy him a pre vent feed tub.

Which we did....ordered it a few days ago....to the tune of (with the stall installation kit, and shipping) $118.

Was wondering if anyone had heard of this feeder or knows anyone who uses one?

So that's the bad news, Beau's choke problem may be his temperment...which is alot harder to solve than a floating!!!:-(

SarahAnn 12-08-2011 12:19 AM

I have never heard of such a thing, but I am super interested in what people have to say about them. If I invested in them, I'd be looking at closer to $600. eeeek! I will have to do some research of my own :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Beauseant 12-08-2011 12:24 AM

Here's the website: Horse Feeders, Pre-Vent sand ingestion, choke, feed waste

Even though they are a tad pricey, if they help, it will be worth it!!! Now that we suspect that Beau's choke issues are mental not physical, we need to work on his food aggression. I have little hope we can CURE it, but with some training and a few crutches along the way, like this feeder ...perhaps we can keep him from suffering from another horrible choke like his last one.:-(

I am just hoping these things aren't another waste of money.

SarahAnn 12-08-2011 12:32 AM

Its not a waste of money if you're honestly trying to help the boy. And if it doesn't help with choke, it seems, that it will help with how much food is wasted from them not keeping their heads down, so if it keeps his head in and he isn't wasting food, it's worth it. I hope that it'll help him with his mental issue's too... It sure beats the price of the vet in the middle of the night in a snow storm, right? Let me know what you think of it.

My gelding always has his head up looking around, and I literally watch his grain fall out of his mouth. So I'm thinking he needs one at least!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 12-08-2011 07:32 AM

Looking at the bowl, Id have to stake it down pretty good. My horse would just flip it over. I imagine they thought of that. I didnt watch the whole video. But $118 for a feed bowl ? I think I would have used a $12 one and a free rock. Pellets are also more known for choking than a textured feed. I had a horse prone to choking, we later found out he had a tumor growing in his throat blocking his esophagus over the years it got worse and finally killed him when he couldt drink. But after the first choke I knew about I switched to textured feed, threw a cup of water on it, and had a egg shaped rock a bit bigger than a softball thrown in his bucket. He never choked again.

Allison Finch 12-08-2011 08:08 AM

What I have always done with horse that bolt their food is to find several large, rounded river rocks (about the size of a softball) and put them in the feed tub. I pour the feed around them. the horse has to nibble around the rocks and push them around with their nose to get at all the feed. It works like a charm and it is CHEAP!!

Beauseant 12-08-2011 08:51 AM

Well....we did use the rocks. *sigh*

But Beau throws his feed bucket SO VIOLENTLY from side to side while he is eating, even with the rocks in, that they were bashing him in the face/nose really bad. And he still didn't stop throwing the bucket, he still threw it soooo hard that it knocked against his water bucket which was full and dumped out half of the water...so, he throws the feed bucket with force..... so instead of hitting his head against a wall, as the saying goes, he was hitting his head against rocks....we felt that it just wasn't working....all he was getting from the rocks were banged upside his head, and that made him MORE frustrated and caused him pain during feeding time, which we felt wasn't really going to help his choke by making him stressed.....

So, we decided to try this......

I will take a before pre vent and after pre vent feeding video and let you all know how it works out. Who knows, maybe my videos will end up on the website's testimonials section?!:-)

I saw the horses in the video eating so calmly and I wished Beau ate like that.... he kicks the wall, throws his head repeatedly, pins his ears and throws his bucket violently....so mealtimes are anything BUT calm. We are not sure WHY he is so unusually violently food aggressive....he was starved down to a body score 2 at one point, or if it is just his personality........but our ex BO had never seen anything like it before!

sarahver 12-08-2011 08:52 AM

The guy who makes the Pre-Vent feeders is actually a friend of a lady I trained youngsters for last year so we had several of those lying around to trial and actually used one on a horse that bolts his food down and throws half of it on the ground.

He never choked but was at risk for sand colic since he was always trying to eat the remains off the ground. At high speed. Groan.

It worked well although it had to be fastly secured as it is frustrating for the horse to eat out of, although this might depend somewhat on the individual horse I guess. It worked; he was forced to eat slower and couldn't throw the food out of the bucket no matter how hard he tried. **** that bucket took a beating in the first couple of weeks though!!

Beauseant 12-08-2011 08:58 AM

Did it withstand the beating?? Because I just KNOW Beau is going to give it one....:?

He is not going to like picking his food out of the holes.:-P His usual way of eating is to open his mouth real wide and shove his face into the grain, then close it...trying to get as much as possible with the fewest bites...

Joe4d 12-08-2011 09:32 AM

Thats a horse that would learn some mealtime manners or not get fed anything but hay. Does he act agressive with a person ? Do you make him wait at a distance while you put food in his bowl or let him bum rush you ? If a horse pinned his ears at me while he was eating Id run is butt off that feed in a heartbeat. No way I would tolerate that kinda behavior, he'd learn some manners or he would be one hungry horse.