The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Alternatives to DMSO? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/alternatives-dmso-105606/)

MySerenity 12-08-2011 12:13 AM

Alternatives to DMSO?

So my silly little green horse decided to go her best Wyle e coyote impression and somehow stop in mid air over a jump and do a crash landing. She seemed fine but the next day she had some swelling on her girth area. We are guessing its from the impact on the boxes of the jump.

My trainer gave me some DMSO and gloves and told me to rub it in really well. It's 5 days later and there is still some swelling. I don't really think this warrants a vet visit but she wants me to use the DMSO again (yes I only used it once since I haven't been to the barn in 5 days) but I started to research what it was and why I had to wear gloves and now I'm not sure I want to use it.

1) If the area is clean and I wear gloves do you guys think it's dangerous?

2) What alternatives do people use for swelling?

Thanks!

Annnie31 12-08-2011 07:43 AM

DMSO is strong but it does work well for swelling. If you have only used it once use it again, it wont hurt. I dont like to repeat it more than 5 days but that is just me and I mix it with furazone so there is less chance of blister.

MySerenity 12-08-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

DMSO is strong but it does work well for swelling. If you have only used it once use it again, it wont hurt. I dont like to repeat it more than 5 days but that is just me and I mix it with furazone so there is less chance of blister

That sounds reasonable, thanks for the advice!

farmpony84 12-08-2011 11:09 AM

I actually am trying DMSO for the first time right now on a small area. I mixed it with furasone but have the same reserves as you.

Have you tried a linament?

natisha 12-08-2011 03:52 PM

That area is known for hanging onto edema/swelling because of the location, fluids run down & it takes a while for the body to absorb it. You may want to try an epsom salt poultice to draw out the fluid.