The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Best Shampoo (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/best-shampoo-10565/)

RebelsRose 06-24-2008 11:24 PM

Best Shampoo

I am planning on giving my 2 baybee's both a good deep cleansing bath soon, I would like to know what everyone's opinion is on their favorite shampoo so I can detirmine what to buy....It does not matter to me if its a human or horse product but please no color enhancers for I think it would damage their coats....Thankyou

HooverH 06-25-2008 03:19 AM

The barn mainly uses an Alodine formula, the iodine and aloe mix.

I like Oster, I have the Berry Deep Cleanser and the Black Pearl (which is a color enhancer). I also have used Eqyss Sensitive Skin, because Hoove tends to get dry skin.

MTG also has a nice shampoo, I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet, but I picked up some for my instructor.

alex0815 06-25-2008 06:08 AM

personally, i love using organic shampoos- they're best for the horses' skin.
what i often use is "natural instict" organic lavender shampoo, because the lavender scent keeps the flies off them a bit, specially the mozzies at night =]

it worked really well on louboyy, his tail went like silver =D it was so cool =P

blossom856 06-25-2008 09:28 AM

Mane and tail shampoo. It gets nice and sudsy, rinses well and doesn't strip natural oils. And it's a lot cheaper than other horse shampoos. I got a 32oz bottle for $5 at my local kmart.

Vidaloco 06-25-2008 09:55 AM

I like using the Alodine shampoo this time of year with all the bug bites. I think it helps sooth the skin.
I also occasionally use a citronilla shampoo for bugs
My favorite for just a general bath is EZall

Sara 06-25-2008 10:17 AM

I'm cheap and easy. Big tub of Orvus paste :P

RebelsRose 06-25-2008 11:17 AM

Thanks so much for all the replies, I'm still deciding....

Cheval 06-25-2008 01:06 PM

I love Mane & Tail.

upnover 06-25-2008 05:34 PM

Suave!! It's gentle on their skin and gets them amazingly clean, plus it smells great! And if that isn't enough, you can get it for a dollar at Walmart.

alstaxidermy 06-25-2008 07:27 PM

The mane and tail stuff or suave - either one is cheap and smells pretty - when we are done with baths the other horses come over and just stick their nose on my horses and sniff my ladies - for deep conditioning their actual mane and tail I use infusium 23 leave in treatment - let it dry and then brush - it's another thing their gelding boyfriend likes to sniff plus I think it tastes funny to him cause he finally quit chewing their hair when we started using it.