The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Muscle Building (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/muscle-building-10572/)

Horse_Chick 06-25-2008 09:25 AM

Muscle Building

HI

I didn't know where to put this but........
Does anyone one have any tips on building muscle for halter horses??? (QH's)
Is there any feed to help too???

Thanks
XX

Jubilee Rose 06-25-2008 07:25 PM

In my opinion, feed has little to do with it. It's exercise, exercise and more exercise. Start small and gradually build. I don't know about halter horses. Do you ride them? If so, put your horse on a strict riding plan to start getting those muscles working again. Take it slow. Do a lot of walk first, and trot as well. Don't ask for lots of canter right away. Do plenty of circles, backing, stopping, halting, change of direction. Walk your horse up and down hills, lunge, free lunge, etc. Lunging is great, I've been doing that with my mare to get her muscly again.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

PoptartShop 06-25-2008 08:45 PM

I don't know much about them either...but I suggest doing some hillwork. ;) That should help gain more muscles.

Horse_Chick 06-25-2008 09:42 PM

Hi
Thanks
Yeah i do ride her. But she has been away for 3 weeks and she has dropped a fair bit of muscle and weight. :cry:
And i have a show coming up in September and i want to show her in her halter classes.

Thanks
XX

Jubilee Rose 06-25-2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horse_Chick
Hi
Thanks
Yeah i do ride her. But she has been away for 3 weeks and she has dropped a fair bit of muscle and weight. :cry:
And i have a show coming up in September and i want to show her in her halter classes.

Thanks
XX

I can understand muscle drop, but why weight drop? Where did she go?

Horse_Chick 06-26-2008 07:26 AM

Hi

I just guess she lost the weight with the muscle but she was being worked more where she was than what she was when i was riding her. And too she wasn't eating too much i think she missed me and thats what they said too LOL

XX

Angel_Leaguer 06-26-2008 03:58 PM

I know what they eat along with workouts has a big impact on the muscle. I dont raise halter horses but im pretty sure that higher protein diet is needed.

Juno21 06-27-2008 02:32 PM

I would say buy a higher protein feed and mix it into her grain your feeding her now and do lots of hill work and after doing that for a while add some weight like put sand in saddle bags and put them on her saddle. but a little at a time so she builds muscle at a steady pace.

My2Geldings 06-27-2008 03:33 PM

Your best bet is to work her. Lots of work to get her to build her topline. Hills, lots of work that will require her using her hind end. You riding the horse yet? or is it just halter broke?

Horse_Chick 06-28-2008 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings
Your best bet is to work her. Lots of work to get her to build her topline. Hills, lots of work that will require her using her hind end. You riding the horse yet? or is it just halter broke?

Hi
Yes i am riding her but she is still green. I am lunging her at home on the grass mainly at a jog like i might do each way 5 walk, 20-30 jog and 2-5 canter. This is with out a saddle.
Anything else i should do???
What are some good high protein feeds that you's think are good???

Thanks for all your help guys
XX