The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Animal bedding pellets vs. Woodstove pellets? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/animal-bedding-pellets-vs-woodstove-pellets-105760/)

Taffy Clayton 12-09-2011 04:37 PM

Animal bedding pellets vs. Woodstove pellets?
 
I just went to farm supply store to buy bedding. The wood pellets for stalls were $6.29 for 40 lbs, and the wood pellets for stoves were $3.69 for 40 lbs. Does anyone know the difference? Can I use Wood pellets for stoves in stalls? Has anyone tried it? Thanks.

Speed Racer 12-09-2011 05:01 PM

No, do not use wood stove pellets in place of pelleted bedding.

Pelleted bedding is made of compressed pine only, while wood stove pellets are made from ANY types of wood waste left over from sawmilling or other wood manufacturing.

It's not safe for your horses, period.

Darrin 12-09-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton (Post 1260231)
I just went to farm supply store to buy bedding. The wood pellets for stalls were $6.29 for 40 lbs, and the wood pellets for stoves were $3.69 for 40 lbs. Does anyone know the difference? Can I use Wood pellets for stoves in stalls? Has anyone tried it? Thanks.

Parents have been using wood pellets for years with no issues.

Taffy Clayton 12-09-2011 09:48 PM

Darrin, this is interesting, you mean the pellets specifically meant for a wood stove, and have had no problems? I would like to ere on the side of caution, but saving 50% on my bedding bill is huge.

Sharpie 12-09-2011 10:19 PM

I know several people who use wood stove pellets for cat litter AND animal (horse, rabbit, etc) bedding. I've never had of anyone having issues, though I probably wouldn't use them with an animal that tried to eat them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1260253)
No, do not use wood stove pellets in place of pelleted bedding.

Pelleted bedding is made of compressed pine only, while wood stove pellets are made from ANY types of wood waste left over from sawmilling or other wood manufacturing.

It's not safe for your horses, period.

Why? I know black walnut can cause problems, but why would other woods? Assuming the horses aren't eating them of course.

Darrin 12-10-2011 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton (Post 1260523)
Darrin, this is interesting, you mean the pellets specifically meant for a wood stove, and have had no problems? I would like to ere on the side of caution, but saving 50% on my bedding bill is huge.

Yep, pellets for a wood stove. They pick them up a pallet at a time.

SarahAnn 12-10-2011 01:10 AM

Do pellets for a wood stove break up and turn into saw dust like the bedding does? Does it absorb when wet? This is VERY interesting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sharpie 12-10-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahAnn (Post 1260720)
Do pellets for a wood stove break up and turn into saw dust like the bedding does? Does it absorb when wet? This is VERY interesting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Interesting? I always thought that the people who bought the 'horse bedding' pellets were the ones getting scammed on price for over-marketed wooden pellets. Now I hear that there might be a problem with using stove pellets. ;)

New things on both sides!

SarahAnn 12-10-2011 01:21 AM

Is there a problem?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sharpie 12-10-2011 01:36 AM

Not that I can find, This guy: O2Compost -- Horse Bedding explains the essential difference. Basically fuel pellets can be dustier than bedding pellets, and there are rumors that fuel pellets contain sawdust from facilities that process laminate, which potentially means (if the rumor is true) that there might be tiny grains of plastic or glue residue in fuel pellets. Even if that IS true, so long as the horse isn't eating them, I still don't see the big deal. If a horse has COPD or something, the dust may be a very valid concern though.

This is all I found. Speed Racer sounds very certain that fuel pellets are dangerous though, so I await further enlightenment.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0