The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Oliver has pneumonia :( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/oliver-has-pneumonia-105794/)

Klassic Superstar 12-10-2011 12:54 AM

Oliver has pneumonia :(

Update on ollie boy, he got significantly worse the two days my trainer wasn't there and just got home from meeting the vet out there and tending to him.

He is coughing a whole bunch more, snotty goopy yellow/green snotty nose again and just not wanting to do anything.

Vet came out as soon as he could, since he was now caught without anyone doing anything to him(walking or lunging him) and he looked miserable.

He listened to his lungs and Oliver started coughing so bad he started shaking, vet said he has pneumonia, has fluid in his upper air ways and in his lungs.

We are now set up with pre packaged antibiotics for two weeks, he got a penicillin shot in his rear, he is on no work (duh) and as much turnout as he can get.

If he isn't 50% better by Wensday he has to undergo alot more treatment.

Wish us luck!

SarahAnn 12-10-2011 12:57 AM

:( Poor guy. I hope he gets better quickly! Keep us updated.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 12-10-2011 12:58 AM

Poor horse! How did he get that?

Klassic Superstar 12-10-2011 01:05 AM

Still unsure, inviormentel mixed with large barn on horses coming in and out, first year being body clipped, vet says since he's young he's more susceptible to getting sick. Vet thinks he will do great with both the penicillin and antibiotics. Fingers are crossed, he was very nice, took his time, gave me alot of information.

outnabout 12-10-2011 01:11 AM

So sorry to hear that! I was following your thread last week about him. I am sure he will be OK under a vet's care.

Klassic Superstar 12-10-2011 01:13 AM

Thanks! I sure hope so!

Skyseternalangel 12-10-2011 01:24 AM

You both are in my prayers

tinyliny 12-10-2011 01:24 AM

Samantha, So sorry to hear this. I really thought that it was probably going to be "nothing", and the Pneumonia was just too much. So, I am shocked to hear that he really does have it. I hope that everything goes well for you and Ollie and you can nip it in the bud . Will say a wee equine prayer for Ollie,
Caroline

Klassic Superstar 12-10-2011 01:53 AM

Thank you Caroline! I was a wreck yesterday cause I had the gut feeling something wasn't right, talk about being connected with your horse! I was hoping it was just cold too! Thanks for you equine prayers, much needed!

mselizabeth 12-10-2011 08:53 PM

Ahw, so sorry to hear. Did you blanket him?