The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   confused by the miracle collar (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/confused-miracle-collar-105854/)

arrowsaway 12-10-2011 08:48 PM

confused by the miracle collar

So, got my new guy a miracle collar to stop the windsucking he's been doing on the gate to the pasture. My boyfriend tried putting it on, and I was told to put it as tightly as it will possibly go. Smoke pinned his ears, and was clearly unhappy, but allowed us to do this. When he would put his head down, it seemed to get so loose to the point of falling off.
We followed the directions that came with the collar, but it just seemed... not right. Anyone have any experience with these collars?

Also, I'm concerned about his ability to eat. It pinches when he stretches his neck out to windsuck, so what about when he stretches his neck out to grab some hay?

Any input from folks who have used these collars would be greatly appreciated.

Duren 12-10-2011 08:51 PM

Product sucks. Had a gelding that, if he actually left it on, would still wind suck all.day.long.

Taffy Clayton 12-10-2011 09:03 PM

:-PI have used the collar before and it worked realtivly well. I will have to post more tomorrow becauuse to many libations were had tonight and I cannot concentrate enought to gove proper replies:-P need to go to bed. te he te he!!

arrowsaway 12-10-2011 09:54 PM

not so much asking how well it works, but how it SHOULD work...
should it always be tight to the point of choking him? is it normal for it to become loose when he puts his head down? I want him to be able to eat safely.

Duren 12-10-2011 09:59 PM

It is supposed to be tight, and he can eat and drink (and wind suck) while wearing it. Since the angles of the neck change when the head is lowered it will be looser then.