The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   Mounting issues, is it related to my weight? (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/mounting-issues-related-my-weight-105860/)

mselizabeth 12-10-2011 09:44 PM

Mounting issues, is it related to my weight?

Anyone experience mounting issues related to their weight? My TB won't stand still for me, but he will for my trainer or anyone else small when mounting. He's sound and is perfectly capable of holding my weight.. but it's concerning.

I don't "plop" on his back either.

Anyone else feel too big for their horse? I've tried everything.

waresbear 12-10-2011 09:51 PM

I doubt you're too big for your horse. Do you use a mounting block, if not, I highly recommend it. It just easier for you, the horse's back & your tack. Doesn't matter who this horse stands for, he needs to stand for you. Make him stand.

bsms 12-10-2011 09:53 PM

Do you ride English or Western?

mselizabeth 12-10-2011 09:54 PM

I do use a mounting block when I ride english. For western I don't because he dances too much anyways. It takes me at least 10 minutes if we're alone.

Not because I physically can't. I'm limber enough to get on. He just won't stand still for it. And i'm questioning if that's because of my weight.

He's 16hh and probably 1,250lbs. I am 5.9" and 200lbs.
Does that fall within that stupid 20% rule?

mselizabeth 12-10-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsms (Post 1261493)
Do you ride English or Western?

Both. Western on the trails. English in the ring when we jump.

Cinnys Whinny 12-10-2011 10:02 PM

It might help if you use a corner (I used to have similar issues with Cinny). Basically you want them to face the end of the arena whth a side rail going along your horses side. then you Sandwich them in with the mounting block. They can only move backwards. Try to think of making a mini pen with the rails of the arena and your mounting block.

Then, patience. Let your horse know it is absolutely unacceptable to move. I used to back Cinny halfway across the arena quickly every time he would move while mounting. Then we would go back to the block and try again. After a while they start figuring out that it's more work to NOT stand still.

Just remember patience patience patience. It' best when you aren't in a rush to get on your horse. Try this out when you have time to kill, or go early so that you can create time to kill with this.

mselizabeth 12-10-2011 10:06 PM

Our arena is a circle... :/

Cinnys Whinny 12-10-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mselizabeth (Post 1261522)
Our arena is a circle... :/

that makes it difficult.

tinyliny 12-10-2011 10:12 PM

Eliz,

No way are you too heavy for that horse. NO way. so that is not the issue.
However, you say he stands for the trainer to mount? If so, then I think it's more that your horse anticipates your way of riding him in a different way than he does either an unknown rider or your trainer, as a rider.
Do your get on and then "gung ho" immediately? What is your relationship with him once in the saddle? Is he antsy under saddle, too?The mounting problem is something to address as an important training issue. There ares just scads of threads on mounting issues here, so take a look.

mselizabeth 12-10-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny (Post 1261533)
that makes it difficult.

lmao, yes. He's such a little ass when it comes to mounting. If I hold him back, he'll back up. If I don't hold him back, he'll walk forward. If he doesn't go forward or backward, he'll side step.

I'm at a loss.

So its in no way related to my weight?