The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   going too fast (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/going-too-fast-105872/)

star1998 12-10-2011 10:50 PM

going too fast

hi,
when i ride my horse i always canter. but usually when i ask her to just simply trot she decides to trot really fast, and this usually results in her cantering not trotting. and when she does canter after i have told her to trot the canter is usually really fast and hard to control. i am not sure how i can stop this. i pull her up when i can feel her trying to canter and take off, but she still needs to learn to trot when i tell her to, and to canter when i tell her to do that.
please help
thanks.:-|

SorrelHorse 12-10-2011 10:56 PM

This is a major foundation hole in this horse's training.

I would suggest establishing excellent brakes at the WALK before you even think about trotting or cantering. Walk a few steps, say whoa, stop, and then immediately back up. When she starts trying to slam on her brakes at "Whoa", do it at a trot. Same deal. Then the canter.

As for slowing the gaits themselves down, I would suggest a LOT of FREQUENT downward transitions. Make her think she's going to slow down as soon as she gets to go. When she starts getting pushy, stop her and back her up. Or one-rein stop.

What you've done with her so far is make her think "FASTER" whenever you go upward in gait, and that can lead to a ticking timebomb of a horse.

star1998 12-10-2011 11:01 PM

OK. thanks for your advice. i will work on it.
thanks

bsms 12-10-2011 11:16 PM

What I've started doing with my gelding is follow this rule: If he initiates the canter, we canter until he wants to slow. And then we canter another 100-200 yards, for MY fun.

Based on a couple of weeks, he seems a lot less inclined to initiate a canter without being asked...

I tried reining him in to keep him slow, but that just resulted in his head going WAY up and getting more excited. My goal now is to keep cantering fun, but not so much fun that he starts it without permission.

If he goes to a very fast, choppy trot, then I push him up to a canter, and keep him there until it isn't much fun. It seems to be working, but I'll know better in a month.

SorrelHorse 12-10-2011 11:20 PM

bsms- I actually like that technique too.... I'm really glad you said something, I forget about it all too often. I had a barrel mare I had to do that with because she was a nutcase.

To the OP - I would try both, but I also like what bsms has said. But if your horse IS getting tense and bound up, maybe letting him run it out is best.

soenjer55 12-10-2011 11:22 PM

I would stop cantering and even trotting until you have a good stop at the walk. Simple as that- when you've got the walk down, move to the trot, then the canter. It's a training issue. I had the same problem with one of mine, the little bugger.

Sharpie 12-10-2011 11:38 PM

I will say that for my boy, the best thing to get his trot slowed down has been lots of serpentines, trotting without walk breaks, and even some cantering like bsms said. That said, he's very out of shape, so I cannot personally vouch for it as being effective in very fit horses who are happy to go and go and go like some arabians I've met.

star1998 12-10-2011 11:41 PM

thank you. i will try all of your suggestions!!!

Vogue24 12-11-2011 02:15 PM

My mare does this 'quick trot' you talk about, its not a case of bad schooling its actually a (condition- although I do not want to say condition but i cant find another word to describe it, dont worry its not serious) But its called a 'super trot' and it means that your horse isnt balanced enough going into canter so it will trot as fast as it can and just sort of fall into a canter, I wouldnt worry though- Hope this helped. What breed is she?

soenjer55 12-11-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vogue24 (Post 1262106)
My mare does this 'quick trot' you talk about, its not a case of bad schooling its actually a (condition- although I do not want to say condition but i cant find another word to describe it, dont worry its not serious) But its called a 'super trot' and it means that your horse isnt balanced enough going into canter so it will trot as fast as it can and just sort of fall into a canter, I wouldnt worry though- Hope this helped. What breed is she?

interesting, so it's just a matter of not having muscle balance?