The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Would you ride with these people again? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/would-you-ride-these-people-again-105877/)

twh 12-10-2011 11:49 PM

Would you ride with these people again?

I've been riding with a couple. The wife's seen me ride thrice and the husband twice. I had asked the wife for a recommendation for a reining or cutting trainer (she didn't know anyone, and she herself told me they didn't know squat about either discipline, and that all they knew was trail riding).

Well, anyway, I'm going about my business on my horse when the husband comes up to me and starts acting like he's an expert on reining/cutting and riding in general, telling me things like that I should chair seat when halting my horse (not the sliding stop, just plain halting) and lean forward when loping. He kept insisting that I back my horse whenever I halt and claimed that he and his wife back every time they halt, when I've never seen either of them do that. He also kept changing what he was saying, for example first claiming that you pull and hold the reins to stop, then saying you shouldn't use any sort of pressure to stop.

He proceeded to pick apart literally every aspect of my riding and basically told me that I'm a lousy rider because I don't ride his way and that I'm wrecking my very intelligent good horse with my horrible riding (he kept repeating this).

He got real pissed when he saw I wasn't bowled over. He didn't even wave back to me when the ride was over and I was driving away.

I'm not offended or angry; I'm kind of rolling my eyes. But would you ride with this couple again? The wife basically tried to stay out of it, but I'm thinking the husband may have set himself up to keep after me and it'll get quite nasty if I have to tell him to back off. I can maneouver it so I ride with just the wife, though. The wife is not exactly a straight shooter either --- she started acting like a reining/cutting expert after she'd told me they knew nothing about it, and was saying things like that the reining spin is an extension of the rollback. But I don't think she'll start going after me like that.

Thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-10-2011 11:53 PM

RUN don't walk away and find someone else to ride with. That ride can't have been any fun and if I can't have fun when I ride with someone, for whatever reason, I go find someone else to ride with.

twh 12-10-2011 11:55 PM

Finding someone else to ride with would take quite some doing, if it's not actually impossible. Everyone around here seems pretty antisocial.

ETA: That doesn't mean I'm going to put up with this, though.

Thanks for your input!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ladytrails 12-10-2011 11:58 PM

I ride for pleasure. If I need advice about my riding, I ask for it. I have never been given good advice wrapped in an insult, so I would say that if he's insulting you, he's probably not the kind of person who's going to be giving good advice.

If it isn't fun, don't ride with them again. Ever. (PS - don't ever let one of them ride your good, intelligent, awesome horse to show you how it's done, either.) IMHO.

ETA - maybe the wife by herself is sane?

twh 12-11-2011 12:00 AM

He actually asked me if he could get on my horse. I pretended not to hear him.

I have ridden with the wife without the husband around. She seems the type who keeps her mouth shut.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 12-11-2011 12:00 AM

^^That (to what DA said LOL). While it may be harmless enough, it gets annoying...fast and makes for a very unpleasant ride.

I've got a step-nephew that is that exact way. He's ridden a bit, doesn't know much, but automatically whenever he gets around a horse, he's the world's foremost expert on all things horsey. I finally got to the point that whenever he's around and riding (w/t only and stays around the barn if by himself), I take off at a lope to the country and stay gone for a few hours just to avoid him.

It's either that or bite his head off next time he tells me "If I was training that horse...". Not sure that would go over well with the family :?.

I would drop those people like a burning bag of dog crap.

waresbear 12-11-2011 12:15 AM

Ride with them again???? I wouldn't ride with them to begin with. They would be lucky if I ran them over with my car.

twh 12-11-2011 12:23 AM

Wares, thanks for your post and for the laugh!
Posted via Mobile Device

goodhrs 12-11-2011 12:37 AM

I would avoid both of them like the plaque.

Skyseternalangel 12-11-2011 12:47 AM

Agree... don't go back. Terrible idea!