The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Yearling Filly - worth seeing? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/yearling-filly-worth-seeing-105907/)

My Beau 12-11-2011 01:16 PM

Yearling Filly - worth seeing?

1 Attachment(s)
I found a yearling filly (may 2010) for sale that I'm really interested in. She has the same sire as my 2 year old and I REALLY love the temperament his babies have. The only thing I can see from the photo is that her fetlocks may be a tad long... any other issues that I'm not seeing?

Attachment 81200

I'm going to think about it a bit more and maybe call the seller for a video. If that looks good and I can scrape up a bit more money, then I may make the trip to TX to see her. It's a BIG maybe, but there's something about this one that makes her very appealing to me!

Btw, eventing would be my goal for her...

waresbear 12-11-2011 01:44 PM

Wow, love her neck, that caught my eye right away. She does have short cannon bones & a long forearm, from what I read on Deb Bennett confo clinic, that is a good thing. She looks good to me, very mature looking. I am not an expert in eventing by any stretch of the imagination, but to me, she looks all springy & agile, which I would think is suited for the sport. But don't quote me.

smrobs 12-11-2011 01:56 PM

She's a nice looking filly. Her hocks may be just a little bit straight and it appears that she toes out a bit on the back. Though her front pasterns seem a bit long, they are very well angled so I don't see any problems with that.

My Beau 12-11-2011 04:03 PM

Thanks to both of you - you're increasing my desire to call her owner ;)

Her neck is what really caught my attention right away, too! I almost didn't believe she was a yearling (I though my filly looked decent as a yearling, but I should have hid her from the world compared to this one!).

I didn't even notice the possible toeing out in the back - I'll be sure to get better photos from the seller if I decide to pursue her. Saw the pasterns... I put fetlocks in my OP (brain wasn't working apparently - derp derp!) but I couldn't tell if it was the camera angle or not.

Anyone else?

Duren 12-11-2011 04:07 PM

Where in Texas is she?

Dont worry, not looking to buy!

Sharpie 12-11-2011 04:09 PM

I like her- very nice for a yearling. I am not a confo expert though. Jest lookin' a' teh pretties. ;)

smrobs 12-11-2011 04:18 PM

IMHO, the toeing out looks slight and is likely nothing to concern yourself about. There are more horses that toe out than are perfectly straight and, unless it is severe, I've never seen a problem from it.

My Beau 12-11-2011 04:42 PM

Her ad says Liberty Hill, Duren. I googled and it's about 30-40 minutes from Austin. While it's a day from me, it actually kinda of works out because I have a good friend I can stay with in Austin if I fly down to see her.

Are you close to Austin? Wanna go check her out for me ;)

soenjer55 12-11-2011 04:42 PM

I think she's a VERY good looking yearling, who will mature to be a good, athletic mare. She's well put together and balanced. Short cannon bones, good shoulder, she's just all around a nice looking girl.
I would have never thought she was only a year, she's just so nicely together, not awkward at all!

Duren 12-11-2011 04:53 PM

I'm in Dallas, about 3 hours from Austin...however it would give me an excuse to visit a friend in San Antonio :)