The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   tongue tie and figure eight (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/tongue-tie-figure-eight-105913/)

asdfgh596 12-11-2011 02:57 PM

tongue tie and figure eight

my brother ran a horse (racehorse) with a tongue tie and a figure eight. It looked uncomfertable for the horse. She came back after the race with her tongue bleeding bad at the front of her tongue two holes. horse ran very good untill the head of the streach 1st to last.with lots of blood in mouth. PLEASE HELP

Duren 12-11-2011 03:06 PM

What is it that you need help with?

(besides spelling...sorry couldn't help it)

VelvetsAB 12-11-2011 06:10 PM

What exactly do you need help with?

Tongue ties are frequently used in the Standardbred industry, but I have never seen a horse bleed from it.

I would guess that the horse bit her tongue somehow, because the tongue tie doesn't go at the front of the mouth, it goes at the back, where the bit is.

It sounds like this horse is very busy with their tongue, hence the tie and figure 8. Much safer to tie their tongue then risk the horse getting it over the bit, and having a run away horse situation.

Casey02 12-13-2011 08:57 PM

Make sure to keep the tongue tie so you can get a finger or two under the chin. ANd NEVER put them on until RIGHT before the race. And take them off AS SOON AS they are done with the race, can cut off circulation.

asdfgh596 12-14-2011 08:04 AM

correct way to tongue tie

Let me know how you tie your horses tongue, cloth to bow???. And like you said can you get it to tight. THX

farmpony84 12-14-2011 09:03 AM

You might have better luck with these types of questions on a racing forum if one exists.

I have a couple questions (Mostly curiousity as I really don't know anything about horse racing)

Is this a horse that you and your brother own together?
Is he your trainer?
I'm just curious, are you new to racing?

asdfgh596 12-14-2011 09:25 AM

I didnt ask for that kind of reply

Well im sorry dont reply back to me then thank you, And its realy NONE of your worry who the trainer is. SEE YA

farmpony84 12-14-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdfgh596 (Post 1265739)
Well im sorry dont reply back to me then thank you, And its realy NONE of your worry who the trainer is. SEE YA

While the actual trainers name may be deemed none of my business, it does help to understand what is going on in the situations that you are bringing to our attention.

From what you are describing, I get the feeling that you are new to this world and have very little knowledge of what is going on. The techniques you describe are a bit shady in my opinion.

Should you start more threads, I shall reply should I feel the need. Enjoy your day.

Casey02 12-14-2011 10:09 AM

asdf--- you can absolutly have a tongue tie to tight. Like i said make sure when it is all set and you think it is ok, check to make sure you can get a finger or two under by the chin. If you cant you have it to tight. And you are dealing with cutting off the horses circulation if it is to tight or in this case you may have cut the tongue?? Make sure it is pleasent for the horse, not painful and he shouldnt mind it!

jumanji321 12-14-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdfgh596 (Post 1265739)

Next time, be more polite otherwise you might not get the answers you want.