The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Help with lunging lazy horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-lunging-lazy-horse-105936/)

candice and mateo 12-11-2011 07:50 PM

Help with lunging lazy horse

I have a 1 1/2 yr old paso fino who is pretty lazy in general. When lunging though, she always turns into me like she's saying "just love me, dont make me work". i have tried everything from wiggling the lead in front of her, which has no effect, to putting the butt of the whip in her neck and pushing her away. I've even tried putting a board on the lead rope to keep her away. She just doesn't get it. I can't send her away. I have no issues with my other paso of the same age. HELP!

Macslady 12-11-2011 07:54 PM

Does she need to be worked before she is ridden? Some horses just don't like it and don't work well when lunged.

My horse hates it. He is a little spirited when we start out but he calms right down and gets to work so I don't bother.

Macslady 12-11-2011 08:06 PM

Disregard the previous post, I misread it and it won't let me edit.

tinyliny 12-11-2011 09:22 PM

Does she understand the concept of "move away from me when I tell you to"? Can you get her to step her shoulders over? I would work on having herunderstand to step her shoulders over, then work on step you her front end over and add that to "please walk forward now" . This is how you get her to go forward on a lunge circle. It starts with just "step your shoulder and frontt legs away from me".
With a horse that young you aren't going to want to do a lot of fast lunging anyway. more like working on having her be connected to the line and to your body language.

candice and mateo 12-15-2011 12:08 PM

how do you teach her to step her shoulders over? nothing i have tried has worked...