The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   My motivation is my horse! (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/my-motivation-my-horse-105943/)

tecara 12-11-2011 09:33 PM

My motivation is my horse!

I have just recently gotten back into horses. I stopped riding years ago because of weight and health issues. For my anniversary 2 months ago my wonderful husband bought me a Percheron gelding. I had said I'd ride again when I didn't feel bad for the horse that had to carry my fat ass... Well he found a horse that has no issues carrying me around!!!! Well I couldn't be happier, but still there are issues... Sure I can ride with no issues but I'm finding it extremely hard to do ground work with him... So... he is now my motivation to get fit again!!!! He is only 5 and there is so much more I want to do with him as far as training goes... but I need to be physically strong enough to do it... So here goes nothing.... New Years resolution is a stronger mind, body and soul... and my big boy is gonna help get me there!!!!

I just wanted to share this... Figured maybe if I put it out there for others to know about it may make me more accountable for accomplishing my goal :)

By the way... I love this forum and especially this part of it!!!!

soenjer55 12-11-2011 09:35 PM

Congrats! I wish you the best and I admire your go-getter attitude!!

EighteenHands 12-13-2011 01:53 PM

Stay in that saddle and RIDE RIDE RIDE!!!!!! Way to get back in that saddle girl!!

MHFoundation Quarters 12-13-2011 01:59 PM

Congrats and welcome to the forum! It's wonderful to see how many folks are enjoying the plus size addition to the forum. I'm not plus size now but have been and weight has always been a struggle for me despite being very active.

Keep riding and you've definitely got support here on your weight loss journey.

tecara 12-13-2011 08:33 PM

Thanks for the great words of encouragement!!! Starting to work out lightly and am already sleeping better... Little steps that will make great strides soon... I'm sure!!

racheld90 12-14-2011 09:43 PM

I went from 190 to 140 from just cutting out all meat but grilled chicken and well i stopped my night time eating!!! I also have a 17.3 hand percheron gelding! He is 5.5 years old! Not sure if he is a pure or a cross we rescued him from the meat pen at 4 months old. Percherons are GREAT horses!

Country Woman 12-14-2011 11:50 PM

I also got back into riding after years of not riding
and I enjoyed it very much

Good luck with your weight loss as well

kim_angel 12-18-2011 04:38 PM

You go girl! That is a great way to think and get motivated.
My horse is a large foundation QH and he can easily carry me. I weighed 251 pnds and started Weight Watchers on May 1, 2011.
So far I have lost 68.2 lbs.
I am sure my horse is thankful for it too!
I am not going to stop until I am at a fit weight of 150 lbs

tecara 12-18-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kim_angel (Post 1270839)
My horse is a large foundation QH and he can easily carry me. I weighed 251 pnds and started Weight Watchers on May 1, 2011.

WOW!!! that is amazing Kim... Congrats!!!!

I spent two hours today working with my big boy... It was easier today and didn't feel nearly as winded!!! So I guess if nothing else I'm getting stronger.

My top weight was 303. I am now down to 245 with a long way to go but I know I can do it... Just feeling like I do now after spending time with my big boy makes it all worth while!!!

Keep up the great work and keep me posted... I love to hear how others are doing!!!

Merry Christmas :)

Country Woman 12-18-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kim_angel (Post 1270839)

Good for you Kim keep up the good work