The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bit-less = Happiness (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bit-less-%3D-happiness-105959/)

KaylaMarie96 12-12-2011 01:16 AM

Bit-less = Happiness

So when I got my quarter horse gelding a couple months ago he came with is own bridle. I have been riding him in it since I've had him but today I decided to just ride him in his halter. He did FANTASTIC. He did his spins 10 times faster and backed up super fast as well. Do some horses work better in halters without bits? I also was thinking about getting him a rope halter to ride with instead of his bridle. Good or Bad idea?

bubba13 12-12-2011 01:18 AM

Do some horses work better in halters without bits?
Yes.

I also was thinking about getting him a rope halter to ride with instead of his bridle. Good or Bad idea?
If you can control him and he likes it, why not?

smrobs 12-12-2011 01:19 AM

If he responds better and seems happier in the halter, then there is no reason not to ride him in it.

However, if you show in any way, most shows require a bit of some form. Have you had his teeth checked to make sure that the bit isn't causing him pain from sharp points?

KaylaMarie96 12-12-2011 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1262764)
If he responds better and seems happier in the halter, then there is no reason not to ride him in it.

However, if you show in any way, most shows require a bit of some form. Have you had his teeth checked to make sure that the bit isn't causing him pain from sharp points?

I'm not doing any shows right now so that's not an issue...and ya the vet came out yesterday for his check up and looked at his teeth and said they looked fine. I don't think the bit is causing him discomfort, I just think he doesn't like it in his mouth. He gets very grumpy when i'm in his mouth a lot (he has a problem with the concept of stopping) so I think he is more willing to work with me without the bit.

bsms 12-12-2011 01:31 AM

My mare prefers bitless. My gelding prefers a bit, although he is beginning to get more comfortable with bitless at times. We got a 13 hand mustang last week - he's still using a bit.

FWIW, the equine dentist was out last week, and the 14 year old mustang had 2 wolf teeth, and 3 spurs making a mess of his inner cheek. He was behaving, but he was probably in pain every time he was ridden.

If I don't need a bit, I'd rather not bother with one. However, the gelding I've owned for 3 years now is just beginning to get comfortable with bitless. It really seems to vary with the horse and their training.

Mike Zimmerman 12-12-2011 01:39 AM

Time is the true test, the question is will he eventually become just as dull working off the nose like he is in the mouth?
Posted via Mobile Device

Toymanator 12-13-2011 01:51 AM

Understanding your communication=happiness

Just because you put him in a halter that doesn't mean he is more happy. He may be more relaxed at the moment, but that may be because you aren't asking him to do much. Therefore he understands what it is that you are asking him to do, be it backup, turn left or right. But if you wanted him to side pass in a halter he may end up getting confused, frustrated with your signals, and that leads to unhappiness.

KaylaMarie96 12-13-2011 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymanator (Post 1264192)
Understanding your communication=happiness

Just because you put him in a halter that doesn't mean he is more happy. He may be more relaxed at the moment, but that may be because you aren't asking him to do much. Therefore he understands what it is that you are asking him to do, be it backup, turn left or right. But if you wanted him to side pass in a halter he may end up getting confused, frustrated with your signals, and that leads to unhappiness.

He actually did really well with the side passing and such. Even better than i expected. He is trained to side pass by seat pressure more than reins.

Prinella 12-13-2011 02:12 AM

For years my mare was ridden in a bridle I didn't have the best Hands as a kid and the girl who gave her to me was even worse.

In order to retrain my hands I put a halter on her 2 years later she works beautifully in a halter collects beautifully lateral work all good.

If I put a bridle on her it's a different story. She's slowly starting to accept the bit again but she loses so much relaxation the second that bit goes in. Again there are no physical issues but she's never been given a reason to dislike the halter
Posted via Mobile Device

Toymanator 12-13-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaylaMarie96 (Post 1264202)
He actually did really well with the side passing and such. Even better than i expected. He is trained to side pass by seat pressure more than reins.

This is the correct way to do it, you don't ask a horse to sidepass with your reins. That was the intention of my post, that if you were to ask the horse with your reins it wouldn't understand what you meant, therefore he would get confused, disrespectful, or frustrated.