The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Zinc Oxide (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/zinc-oxide-10597/)

Jubilee Rose 06-25-2008 06:21 PM

Zinc Oxide

Jubilee has sunburn on her nose and I've been putting zinc oxide on it because thats what my trainer suggested. I've been putting quite a bit and even farther up her blaze because she has good-sized rubs from the halter. I'm gonna need to get a special padding for it. But yeah, someone told me zinc attracts the sun even more. What do you guys think?

Thx.

Dumas'_Grrrl 06-26-2008 10:08 AM

8) Thats what lifeguards and other sun bodies use. besides...lol...it says on the bottle that it will protect so....I wouldn't think it would attract the sun rays. Then again I'm not a chemical engineer or anything like that. :lol:

Vidaloco 06-26-2008 12:51 PM

It is the white stuff that you put on your nose to keep it from burning. Its also in Desitin diaper rash ointment so I'd say its a good thing to use.

PoptartShop 06-26-2008 01:54 PM

I say it's fine. :D Yeah, usually is the white stuff that works! :lol:

buckaroo2010 06-26-2008 02:32 PM

I would say that that would work...We dont have any horses that get sunburned :?

Jubilee Rose 06-26-2008 10:22 PM

Ok, thanks guys!

Jubilee sunburns easily! :?

Jubilee Rose 06-29-2008 09:24 PM

Update:

I checked Jubilee's nose today for sunburn and halter rubs and the zinc is working really well! The rubs are healing up nicely and the sunburn is almost gone. I slathered her again in it today!

C-Bear 07-01-2008 02:36 AM

Re: Zinc Oxide

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubilee Rose
Jubilee has sunburn on her nose and I've been putting zinc oxide on it because thats what my trainer suggested. I've been putting quite a bit and even farther up her blaze because she has good-sized rubs from the halter. I'm gonna need to get a special padding for it. But yeah, someone told me zinc attracts the sun even more. What do you guys think?

Thx.

es pad the halter but also i've always used a medium to strong SPF sunscreen usually 30- 45 and go stronger if she keeps on getting burned.

Curious George 07-07-2008 05:43 AM

We just put sunscreen on our horses.