The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Riders Rasp (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/riders-rasp-106028/)

Jenni101 12-12-2011 05:47 PM

Riders Rasp

Does anyone here have one or ever used one? I just bought one and I'm wondering what you guys think about it? Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jumper4ever 12-12-2011 06:16 PM

i have the riders trail rasp for my horses, all of whom are barefoot. The rasp works great for touch-ups and simple work that needs to be done. they aren't great if you are actually planning on doing your horses feet with them. They're easy to use and very safe to handle, just make sure you don't use them improperly.

Jenni101 12-12-2011 06:18 PM

Awesome. All my horses are barefoot too. I'll be using it just for touch ups between trims since where I'm loctated it takes a long time to get any farriers out.
Posted via Mobile Device

trailhorserider 12-12-2011 06:33 PM

I've never used one. But a regular rasp is easy to use and a whole lot cheaper. So quite frankly I don't know why there is even a market for the Riders Rasp. :? The only advantage I could see is if you wanted to carry it with you riding. But I have been doing "barefoot" for about 5 years and never once have I gotten off my horse on a trail ride and felt like I had to have a rasp at that very moment.

So the only thing I can think of is that it is preying on the fear of horse owners that their horse's feet will somehow fall apart if they get chipped or something. But if you put a good roll on them once in a while they almost never chip, and if they do it's not the end of the world. It usually just means your horse was in need of a trim anyway.

So I guess I'm still trying to figure out the whole Riders Rasp phenomenon.

MyBoyPuck 12-12-2011 06:56 PM

Same here. I just went to a hardware store and picked up a regular rasp for $9. I didn't like the singular use that the rider's rasp offers due to it's 90 degree shape. You can only bevel with it.

Jenni101 12-12-2011 07:08 PM

I have a normal rasp too, but I get my fingers instead of the hoof sometimes haha.. I'll try the rider rasp out and see how I like it. Thanks for all the input :D
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 12-12-2011 09:42 PM

I'm not positive you can do a good roll with that Riders Rasp. I have the standard one I use as needed. Good leather working gloves usually prevent from getting the fingers. :wink:

Tianimalz 12-12-2011 09:56 PM

I thought about getting one for myself, because of the size I figured it'd be easy to carry on me when I go out to the barn to do chores, and if Indie needed a little touch up from something I missed I could just whip that little handled sucker out and do so. But the price pushed me away, if it were cheaper than my good ol fashion rasp then it might be a different story xD

Hope it works out for you though!

MHFoundation Quarters 12-12-2011 10:01 PM

I have one in my tote for show touch ups but to be honest I'd just as soon use a regular rasp & a sheet of sandpaper. The blades wear out very quickly and aren't nearly as cost effective as a regular rasp.