The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Mini shelter (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/mini-shelter-106049/)

Starryeyed 12-12-2011 09:14 PM

Mini shelter

Anyone have experience building a shelter for minis or sheep/goats? I am bringing my mini home after a lease and need to setup shelter for her in an acre field with my 2 sheep. Was thinking of trying the hoop style shelter as its easy and affordable. Any ideas?

weefoal 12-18-2011 02:25 PM

We have a port a hut and love it. Inexpensive and easy to move.

http://baxterspaintedpasture.com/images/shelter1.jpg

caseymyhorserocks 12-18-2011 02:27 PM

Ohh I love that one weefoal!

weefoal 12-18-2011 02:32 PM

Oh shoot my pic came out huge! Sorry!! We love these! They will fit in the back of a pick up truck.

AppaloosaLover88 12-18-2011 10:20 PM

We have some like weefoal's and we also have some that we built. The homemade ones are basically an A frame design. Very easy and cheap to build if you happen to have any scrap lumber around. We made a frame from wood and used tin siding on the outside and a layer of plywood around the bottom of the inside to make a kick barrier... we don't want any hooves through the tin!

Starryeyed 12-19-2011 01:10 AM

weefoal where did you find yours? Was also considering a hoop shelter, its cattle panels with a tarp. Will see whats cheaper. Thanks!

weefoal 12-19-2011 10:50 PM

Shoot I tried a side picture but its too big too. Its much longer than that picture looks.

Heres the port a hut website

Livestock Shelters - Portable Steel Shelters & Huts for Swine, Cows, Pigs & other Animals by Port-a-Hut

We luckily had a dealer close to us so just picked it up and drove home. You can check on their site. Many times you see them for sale at equine affair etc. My friend ordered one and had it drop shipped to her farm.

Im not a fan of the tarps and panels. They do blow over very easily and a friend of mines mini got caught in the panels when hers blew over. If you dont have wind I guess they would be okay?

Lockwood 02-21-2012 10:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If you are handy with an drill, you can have the lumber store cut the wood you need to build these goat huts by yourself. They are on skids and I can drag one by myself. I found the plans in Hobby Farms magazine, and the materials cost less than $70 for an 8' length one, and about $40 for a 4' length size.
I use them as seasonal shelters in pastures which is why they are empty in the pics and I love that I can turn them against the weather but don't have to worry about them when it is windy at all.
(Pardon the crappy cell phone pics, I just snapped them the other day for someone else.)

BoldComic 02-28-2012 12:55 AM

I've seen people use the calf igloos that they use at dairies. They seemed to work really well. They are a little expensive but will last forever. I just built a shelter like Lockwood.

kay56649 03-27-2012 11:17 PM

Those look like ok shelters but we made a cheap shelter that was insulated and it works great for 2 mini donkeys and 1 mini horse. I will put some pics on in a while!