The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   What is a good age to break in a horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/what-good-age-break-horse-10606/)

*ArabianPrincess* 06-25-2008 08:57 PM

What is a good age to break in a horse.

Heading saids it all!!

What is your opinion on this?

Personally i think 2 and a half to 3.
I've been told i should let me colt age more (he's 21months now).
All i have done with him is bridle him, put the saddle on (once), Sat on him (for 3 seconds).

I have done all the halter work, lunging work, bathing, clipping, floating you name it!! I've done it.

I will start driving him soon (once i get my bridle these holidays from a mate who is selling it to me) and i get a few other things for him.
I wont rush into this because I've got all the time in the world and i want to make sure everything is perfect as it can be, also i have my guidance from my instructor .

Anyway enough about me.

What is your opinion on the age a horse should be broken?

JustDressageIt 06-25-2008 11:00 PM

3 at the youngest, doesn't matter what breed. 4 for the bigger breeds.

mudypony 06-25-2008 11:24 PM

I agree with JDI. 3 is the youngest age I would put any weight at all on him.

PoptartShop 06-26-2008 12:56 AM

I say at the age 3 1/2 - 4yrs old.

Miss Katie 06-26-2008 01:31 AM

From about 3 but each horse varies, warmbloods develop much slower than other horses and so cant have to much strain on their bodies till they are older. Ponies tuffen up quick :P
Are his knees still honeycomby?? And is his back strong enough to carry weight?? Thoses are probably the most important things. But is he mentally ready as well??

I think the youngest I would ever start would be 2 1/2 if the horse was up to it.

TurnNBurn17 06-26-2008 10:41 PM

2 around here

Filly213 06-26-2008 10:56 PM

yeah, 3-4 is about the age that i reckon would be best.

farmpony84 06-26-2008 11:54 PM

I think it depends on the breed, the horses mind and the discipline.... I would wait on a reigner or a barrel horse, but a pleasure horse, if it has the muscle and mind... 2-3. I wouldnt start one any later then 4 because you loose your window of oppurtunity as far as the willingness to learn go's. I wouldn't jump a horse before the age of five but then again, I see ads all the time for 2 and 3 year olds being free jumped at 4-5 feet and w/ rider at 2'6...

I geuss it's a matter of personal preference and judgment...

jeddah31 06-27-2008 01:37 AM

as long as the horse has physically matured ie. its knees have closed and its not a baby to work with on the ground(which will come from ground work) then i think it doesnt matter, as long as it's never rushed

amightytarzan5 06-27-2008 10:15 AM

I say no earlier than 3. The horse's legs develop slowly. Bigger breeds, like drafts or warmbloods, no earlier than 5. That's about the time that they mature. In my opinion, 2 1/2 is way too young. A horse can do a lot of growing in 6 months. Starting a horse too early can stunt their growth. That's what I've heard at least. There used to be a Quarter pony mare at our yard named Ariel. She was supposed to be a QH, but she was kept in too small a paddock, she wasn't fed enough, and she was backed at like 1 year, 8 months. She was the size of a pony.