The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Please critique this Paso Fino (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/please-critique-paso-fino-106186/)

SunnyDraco 12-14-2011 01:56 AM

Please critique this Paso Fino

I am very new to the forum, and I have been trying to help a family friend sell her Paso Fino gelding for quite a while. The owner doesn't know a lot about Paso Finos, she has been learning what people have told her over the last seven or eight years she has owned him. Now her daughter that had gotten her to buy the gelding in the first place (worked at the horse rescue they bought him from) is now married, has little kids of her own, and moved out of state.

I know that the owner knows NOTHING at all about conformation of any breed of horse. Mine knowledge of basic conformation is pretty much limited to arabs and quarter horses.

I am really hoping that I can get some helpful critique here on her gelding's conformation.

He was born April 1998, and is a purebred registered Paso Fino. I am not sure exactly when the pictures were taken, but I would guess that they were from the summer of 2010.

http://www.horseclicks.com/photos/ho...41601-10-x.jpg

http://www.horseclicks.com/photos/ho...141601-7-x.jpg

http://www.horseclicks.com/photos/ho...141601-1-x.jpg

http://www.horseclicks.com/photos/ho...141601-4-x.jpg

http://www.horseclicks.com/photos/ho...141601-8-x.jpg

His back just seems odd to me, but as I have said, I know so little about the Paso Fino breed. That may be how their back should look, but then again...:?

But, oh how I do wish I would be given better pictures than these when I am trying to help someone sell a horse (writing up the ad after I pull out all the details about the horse I can from their owner). I guess that is what happens when I don't do it myself, not that I get a sinlge penny for doing it though... LOL!

If you can let me know of any major conformational faults or something that is wrong for his build as a Paso Fino, please let me know :-)

Pyrrhic 12-14-2011 03:35 AM

It's hard, if not impossible to critique conformation without him standing square on level ground. He looks a nice sort, but lacking muscle and top line which make him look ewe necked and hollow backed.

SunnyDraco 12-14-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrrhic (Post 1265560)
It's hard, if not impossible to critique conformation without him standing square on level ground. He looks a nice sort, but lacking muscle and top line which make him look ewe necked and hollow backed.

What kind of work would be required to get him more filled out?
Posted via Mobile Device

Pyrrhic 12-14-2011 12:10 PM

I'm guessing he's not in much work?

I would start riding him and encouraging him to stretch long and low which will stretch his back muscles. Make sure he is warmed up and ask him for large, sweeping figures of eight until he is relaxed and softened. Then ask for a collection, encouraging him forward into the bridle but also containing the energy and hold for a couple of strides then extend back into the long and low position.

You need to get him working from his hindquarters and become more balanced, which concentric circles, figures of eight, serpentines, lateral work shoulder in, etc will all help with.

When he is working well is those exercises, introduce pole work and then raised pole work. There are so, so many exercises you can do with poles. Again, make sure he is stretching long and low on a contact.

Also make sure that he is being fed appropriately to help with muscle development.

tinyliny 12-14-2011 01:58 PM

He looks very typical of Paso Finos that I have seen. I bet he's an easy keeper, right? He is a bit chubby, but that is the way they often are. His back is flat and does lack muscle but the flat back is normal. Since they gait, they will tend to utilize their neck a lot more than non gaited breeds and their back a bit less (it tends to stay more rigid). Working up and down hills and over trot poles and cavaletti will help to build the topline. Having them stretch down , if possible, is helpful , too, but once you start gaiting, they cannot do that.

The only conformational fault I can see is that the neck is a bit sunk down in it's under part. I mean, where it leaves the shoulders, it bulges downward a tiny bit. This probably is the curve of the neck bones themselve (the neck is shaped like a snake, kind of, with two "C" curves and this one bulges out/downward a bit. )

The face if very pretty and though he seems a bit light of bone, he looks nicely built to me.

SunnyDraco 12-14-2011 03:38 PM

Yes, he is an easy keeper. His owner rides him a couple times a week if the weather is nice, almost always in an arena. I doubt that she knows how to really to get him to tuck his neck, push him into the bit, collect, or prevent him from gaiting.

And every gaited horse I have seen just seemed to have a completely different build and structure in comparison to non-gaited horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

blue eyed pony 12-15-2011 07:03 AM

Is it just me or is anyone else seeing over at the knee, sickle hocked, large in the head, long cannons and roach backed, AS WELL as the incorrectly muscled neck?

I am not a gaited horse person so I am judging this horse purely on what is considered correct for MOST breeds of that build.

Cacowgirl 12-15-2011 09:01 AM

I have a Paso Fino-they are not going to look like a QH! The whole point to having a gaited horse is to enjoy their gait, ,but that might just be my opinion,& I'm not trying to tell anyone else how to ride their horse. Hope the right buyer comes along & can appreciate him for what he is.

SunnyDraco 12-15-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue eyed pony (Post 1267067)
Is it just me or is anyone else seeing over at the knee, sickle hocked, large in the head, long cannons and roach backed, AS WELL as the incorrectly muscled neck?

I am not a gaited horse person so I am judging this horse purely on what is considered correct for MOST breeds of that build.

I am not a gaited horse person either, but I have seen a few gaited horses, and their body structure is quite different from non gaited horses. I also know that they make saddles especially for the gaited breeds. Although I don't know if this is for fitting a typical back found on gaited horses or for some other reason. Met a young Paso Fino about a year ago that had a large lump on her spine (about where the back of a saddle would sit) as well as having a roach back. Although the lump was more likely an injury caused from being ridden in an average western saddle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cacowgirl 12-15-2011 09:28 AM

My little mare has a short back, so I only ride her in my Aussie Saddle, & hse does great w/that. It does look like the OP's pictures show that the saddle may be a bit too long for him.