The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   how in the world do I pull this mare's mane? help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-world-do-i-pull-mares-106245/)

beverleyy 12-14-2011 05:13 PM

how in the world do I pull this mare's mane? help!
 
My mare has recently decided that mane pulling is not at the top of her list of favorite things to do, however, it is at the top of mine. I absolutely cannot stand a long mane on her, it's just way way to ratty and thick, so much easier to maintain when she's got a short mane. I have pulled her mane twice before, the first time was back when her mane was grossly long. Second time was just a tidy up. I've done her bridle path as well. She generally never complained too much about the whole ordeal. But now her bridle path is way overdue and her mane needs a tidy up. I have tried 3 days in a row and she just won't have any of it. Last night I even tried to pull as she was eating her dinner, normally this would do the trick right off the bat but apparently not!

So what do you guys do for a horse that just does not want their mane pulled? any special tricks I can use?:-P

Pyrrhic 12-14-2011 06:08 PM

Have you guys got things like solo combs over here? It's a comb that thins the hair but also have a button on it to clip there hair as your brush. If her mane is very long, I'd trim with scissors then pull with something like a solo comb.

This is the sort of thing I mean:

http://www.bigdweb.com/images/rc104.jpg

beverleyy 12-14-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrrhic (Post 1266350)
Have you guys got things like solo combs over here? It's a comb that thins the hair but also have a button on it to clip there hair as your brush. If her mane is very long, I'd trim with scissors then pull with something like a solo comb.

This is the sort of thing I mean:

http://www.bigdweb.com/images/rc104.jpg

I think I may have seen them before, probably. what would be the difference between using a solo comb and simply pulling with a regular metal comb? would she feel less of the pulling action?
her mane isn't super long at this point, just needing a touch up. it is quite thick though so she isn't really into the idea of standing for even a minute while I pull away at her.

I'm afraid if I cut it I'd likely butcher it and she'd look more ratty than she does now:lol:

It's getting to the point where if the touch up doesn't happen now, the touch up will need to turn into more of a mass hacking session (her mane grows quite quickly!)

Pyrrhic 12-14-2011 06:39 PM

There's no pulling action at all with something like a solo comb. :-)

You back comb it a bit like normal, then depress the blue bit on the right hand side. the blades then cut it like scissors. my TB mare was very, very sensitive to main pulling and it's the only thing she would tolerate.

Alicia 12-15-2011 09:55 AM

To be honest I don't know a whole lot about mane pulling, but my thought is are you pulling out handfulls at once or a few strands? I was watching one lady pull her geldings mane and would back comb a bit and pull out so much hair she had to pretty much dangle her body from the mane to get the mass amount of hair in her hands out. Maybe she would tolerate less hair at a time and maybe over a couple of days - just an idea.

beverleyy 12-15-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alicia (Post 1267184)
To be honest I don't know a whole lot about mane pulling, but my thought is are you pulling out handfulls at once or a few strands? I was watching one lady pull her geldings mane and would back comb a bit and pull out so much hair she had to pretty much dangle her body from the mane to get the mass amount of hair in her hands out. Maybe she would tolerate less hair at a time and maybe over a couple of days - just an idea.

Yep, since her mane is super think I do need to do it over at least 3 days worth (even if she tolerated it, it's just too think for all at once). Because of her "phobia" I guess you'd call it, I only pull out very few hairs at once, it's hardly noticeable that I've pulled any out so I tend to go over the same area many many times until I see a difference. I would love to be able to pull out more at once but there's just no way she would let me.

beverleyy 12-15-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrrhic (Post 1266390)
There's no pulling action at all with something like a solo comb. :-)

You back comb it a bit like normal, then depress the blue bit on the right hand side. the blades then cut it like scissors. my TB mare was very, very sensitive to main pulling and it's the only thing she would tolerate.

hmm, do you happen to know about how much one would cost?
Does the horse feel pulling at all, or would it just feel like somebody is grooming them sort of deal?

I'd hate to spend a lot on one and have it not work, but on the other hand her mane absolutely needs done otherwise it's out of control:lol:

Pyrrhic 12-15-2011 06:57 PM

They are about $20 :-) The one thing they feel is you back combing the hair. There's no pulling at all to feel, it's more like grooming.

AlexS 12-15-2011 11:40 PM

You can get mane pulling combs that have a razor blade in them, so you are not pulling out the hair.

beverleyy 12-17-2011 05:11 PM

So between myself, my boyfriend, and a friend we managed to get it all done! took some time and discipline but it turned out nicely in the end. Once Bev realized there was no way out of this one and she basically needed to stand on one place/ we were boss, she was calm about the whole ordeal. Yay:-P hopefully next time is just as simple.

thanks for the replies!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0