The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Cleaning Horse Blankets (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/cleaning-horse-blankets-106246/)

Skyseternalangel 12-14-2011 05:32 PM

Cleaning Horse Blankets

How often should you clean a horse's blanket and how should you go about cleaning it?

He's been wearing it on and off since I got it for him. The outside and some of the straps are muddy, both leg straps' buckles are muddy and I'm sure the inside (haven't looked) is probably covered in a sweat layer.

I know not to use detergent since it can irritate the horse's skin and also leave residue. What do you guys suggest.. or do yourself?

Thanks

Saddlebag 12-15-2011 06:07 PM

Unless it's a heavy winter blanket toss it in the washer on gentle. Use about half the detergent as for a normal load of clothes. Add a cup of vinegar when it fills on the rinse cycle to help cut any soap residue. Or, you can take it to a car wash and hang it and hose it on rinse.

Skyseternalangel 12-15-2011 06:36 PM

Okay! Thank you :)

Wallaby 12-15-2011 07:24 PM

Use of detergent is going to ruin the blanket's waterproofing, just saying.
If you use a detergent specially formulated for blankets, or if this is a stable blanket that you're talking about, you should be ok and you should ignore this. haha

Another tip I've heard is to use a front-loading washer, apparently they clean better than a top-loader.
We have a top-loader at my house (yay for appliances from the 1980's!) and I tried washing a blanket in it and it was a complete failure. I ended up running the blanket through at least 4 times and it was STILL dirty. :evil:

I usually just hose off Lacey's blankets in the front yard (or I drape them over the side of our deck) and scrub at them with one of those super hard wooden brushes. It's not super classy and it doesn't do an A+ job but it does do a B+ job so I'm ok with it. haha

Skyseternalangel 12-15-2011 07:27 PM

So I shouldn't use detergent... so now what do you suggest.. just a water cycle?

Wallaby 12-15-2011 08:02 PM

I'd either do just a water cycle or you could get a blanket detergent. I think they're generally pretty common at tack stores (at least they are in the tack stores around here).

Also, don't stick it in the drier! Maybe you knew that. :)

Skyseternalangel 12-15-2011 08:24 PM

So how am I supposed to dry it???

Wallaby 12-15-2011 08:39 PM

Hang it up somewhere. I just stick blankets in the furnace room in my house but I realize most houses don't have that... If you have a deck, you could stick it out there to dry... However, depending on your weather, it might be too cold. :/
Basically, a railing/post that's long enough to fit the entire blanket is what you want. And you're gonna want to turn it over a few times since the side facing up will dry faster.
I suppose hanging the blanket on hook in a warm place would work too, it just might take longer since it's not as spread out.

Washing blankets is a pain. That's why I don't, unless it's the summer.

Hopefully someone with more blanket washing experience will come along and help you more/better... :)

Alternatively, you could try the drier, but I've heard that the drier gets too hot or causes the blanket to shrink or other possible equally terrible things, I just can't remember entirely precisly anything other than turnout blankets=no drier!!

Pyrrhic 12-15-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1266309)
How often should you clean a horse's blanket and how should you go about cleaning it?

He's been wearing it on and off since I got it for him. The outside and some of the straps are muddy, both leg straps' buckles are muddy and I'm sure the inside (haven't looked) is probably covered in a sweat layer.

I know not to use detergent since it can irritate the horse's skin and also leave residue. What do you guys suggest.. or do yourself?

Thanks

About once a year in the UK where rugs gets trashed in the bad, muddy weather.

Give them a brush down with a stiff bristle brush first. Then I would make or buy a rug bag, put the rug (blanket to you guys :-P ) in the bag, then into the wash on a normal cycle (no detergent). The bag traps all the hair so it doesn't get into the machine and clog it up. Then hang it up to dry.

Once it's dry, reproof it with a spray on waterproofing spray as washing will take that out of it. Even if it's not a waterproof rug, they generally have been proofed to repell water.

Skyseternalangel 12-15-2011 08:51 PM

Alright thanks :P