The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Riding at night? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/riding-night-106259/)

miniheart 12-14-2011 08:51 PM

Riding at night?

I work 8-5 Monday thru Friday and it's dark after 4 around here but how bad is it to ride through open fields at night? Kinda wish I could do it because riding once a week isn't enough for me, it's my therapy and right now I have a lot going on and just wish I could ride for even 30 -45mins after work to wind down. It's not an arena and there isn't a ton of light so it's not like an outdoor arena, it's dark in a field. I can see but obviously I can't see 100% I even thought of using a head lamp to help light the area better. What do you think? Am I stupid?:?

FreeDestiny 12-14-2011 08:54 PM

Breast plate and makeshift headlights? :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Country Woman 12-14-2011 10:44 PM

I don't think its wise to ride at night, Your horse could stumble
or put a hoof into a hole and break its legs
or you can get thrown cause the horse spooks at something

MyBoyPuck 12-14-2011 10:48 PM

Horse's see very well at night as long as there is moonlight. As long as you keep it slow, I doubt it would be dangerous.

MySissyGirl 12-14-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miniheart (Post 1266500)
I work 8-5 Monday thru Friday and it's dark after 4 around here but how bad is it to ride through open fields at night? Kinda wish I could do it because riding once a week isn't enough for me, it's my therapy and right now I have a lot going on and just wish I could ride for even 30 -45mins after work to wind down. It's not an arena and there isn't a ton of light so it's not like an outdoor arena, it's dark in a field. I can see but obviously I can't see 100% I even thought of using a head lamp to help light the area better. What do you think? Am I stupid?:?

I think it depends on if you know where you are riding. I ride at night all the time but I know the area that I'm riding. My mare could take me anywhere at night and I could sleep the whole time if I wanted. :) It's a personal choice and depends on your horse.

miniheart 12-14-2011 11:02 PM

Well my horse is a very good boy and doesn't seem to have really any issues other than just protesting when he's getting out of ear shot of his buddies but it's simply a field, usually gets hayed but this year it didn't. There is a flood light but I don't know if it hits the field enough to say so. The horses are being boarded at a family friend's house and they know when I've gone out riding and I have a check point text system with my fiance and some friends. They text me every 2 hours (depending on the ride) and I have 30 minutes to respond. If I don't respond they are not to call but simply call 911 for an ambulance, I'm pretty strict about it because I have fallen on the trail before with no one around. I always wear a helmet and if I rode it's only walk or a trot, he's hackney and a high stepper in the trot. :) I love it! So far it's a toss up though, some do and some don't.

MySissyGirl 12-14-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miniheart (Post 1266692)
Well my horse is a very good boy and doesn't seem to have really any issues other than just protesting when he's getting out of ear shot of his buddies but it's simply a field, usually gets hayed but this year it didn't. There is a flood light but I don't know if it hits the field enough to say so. The horses are being boarded at a family friend's house and they know when I've gone out riding and I have a check point text system with my fiance and some friends. They text me every 2 hours (depending on the ride) and I have 30 minutes to respond. If I don't respond they are not to call but simply call 911 for an ambulance, I'm pretty strict about it because I have fallen on the trail before with no one around. I always wear a helmet and if I rode it's only walk or a trot, he's hackney and a high stepper in the trot. :) I love it! So far it's a toss up though, some do and some don't.

Wow....you got your basis covered miniheart. That is great :)

Jokerrosie 12-14-2011 11:08 PM

Horses have good eyesight at night. There are baseball caps with lights in the front of the bill. I would wear reflective gear. Also, some horses can act "spooky" at night. You also want to be familiar with the area you are riding. Possibly not ride to fast etc. I have ridden often at night on my own property etc. and can be quite fun especially on a pretty moonlit night. Also, make sure someone knows you will be out and when expected back. Happy Trails

miniheart 12-14-2011 11:12 PM

My independence is important to me but so is my safety. :) I have no one to ride with since I've moved so it can be dangerous, but my instincts are very good. Plus he is only a pony that is 13.3 hands so if I fall, it's not too far and with the field being slightly over grown the biggest worry I have is not being seen but then again I always wear my big puffy orange coat so it's easily seen. So between thick grass that's fallen and makes a 'blanket' and my puffy coat, I think I'm safe for the most part.

miniheart 12-14-2011 11:16 PM

I was thinking of using this on my helmet:
http://www.amazon.com/Flood-Light-Head-Lamp-Super-Bright/dp/B000TZBGVS
And with Joker's suggestion, maybe this as well:
http://www.jeffersequine.com/product...=EQU&pn=0V-RA1