The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Jobs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/)
-   -   Once in a lifetime opportunity (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/once-lifetime-opportunity-106324/)

TKButtermilk 12-15-2011 01:20 PM

Once in a lifetime opportunity

I have been offered a job as the trainers assistant at a top Reined Cowhorse & Cutting barn! It's an incredible opportunity, I cannot believe this was just dropped in my lap. It's a live in, paid position & I can take my mare and my dog. AMAZING. It's also terrifying and daunting. I will be moving over an hour and a half away and it's very in the middle of nowhere( for me) as there is no cell service. The job is entirely hands on I'll be tacking, bathing and lunging to begin with and then will be moving up to riding. I had my first day yesterday and honestly I feel like an idiot and a total beginner because they do things entirely different than I do and than the style that I've been taught. I don't think either is better so much as its hard to learn a whole new way to handle horses. But im sticking with it!

This is absolutely amazing considering ive been rotting away working at a bagel and coffee shop trying to figure out what I wanna do with my life and how to get where I wanna be.

My mom just got laid off and I've been struggling to pay for 2 cars, and 2 horses not to mention my other bills. Living check to check and barely making it has always been worth it to keep our girls. Just goes to show good things can happen even when life looks like total crap and you're barely making it.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 12-15-2011 01:47 PM

This is fantastic! I hope it is the very best possible experience. I am sure they did not ask you to come there without having a good reason, so you must have something valuable to offer. Good luck!

Golden Horse 12-15-2011 02:00 PM

Best of luck with the new job, sounds amazing, but no cell service :shock:

Country Woman 12-15-2011 10:50 PM

Good luck with your new job

TKButtermilk 12-15-2011 11:19 PM

I know I'm going to die without my phone! Especially with it being so challenging its like being naked and wanting to reach for my comfort blanket. However there is wifi so I'm thinking I can atleast do Internet texting...we will see. I'll definitely be focused whether or not I wanna be haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cacowgirl 12-15-2011 11:26 PM

Sounds like a great opportunity-Congrats!

missjellyjo 12-15-2011 11:27 PM

GOOD FOR YOU! Isn't it frickin great to be living horses? I just had the same thing happen recently and was thinking about posting earlier, but didn't want to jinx it until after my first day...which was TODAY! I am working with kids through a program with the local schools to keep kids that don't have good home lives from getting into trouble. The woman who hired me on is still finishing getting all of it together, but she is doing a great job so far. She is helping me find a full time job working out and possibly showing horses until she has more kids in the program so I can work full time for the program. I was feeling exactly how you were. I had just wrecked and totaled my car with no insurance, lost my residence, and my job. Then when I thought it couldn't get worse I had the greatest opportunity I have ever been offered. Crazy world! Good luck!!!

TKButtermilk 12-15-2011 11:36 PM

Congratulations!!!!!! I completely understand not wanting to jinx it I didnt tell anyone I didn't need to until after my first day and I decided it was for sure. If nothing else it'll be an amazing experience!
Posted via Mobile Device

Cacowgirl 12-15-2011 11:40 PM

Wow!~~Two lucky gals to get to live the horse dream & just in the nick of time. It looks like my escrow here will be closing soon after the New Year, so I will be in AZ soon, & have lots more time to spend w/my horses.

missjellyjo 12-15-2011 11:46 PM

Thanks and it was nice to share it! I am so excited...What part of cali do you live? I'm originally from san jose up in norcal. I miss it!