The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   prenatal care for our equines (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/prenatal-care-our-equines-106397/)

kait18 12-16-2011 11:21 AM

prenatal care for our equines

alright not sure if it belongs here or health and i also know nothing about equine prenatal care.

so if all breeders whether backyard or not please share the info you have

can be basic to as much info on prenatal care
a delivery kit
what type of bedding or stalling arrangements

etc

just share your info so others can see if they are on the right track or not when they are breeding.

thanks and enjoy. hope it helps comfort some people when its almost time for the baby :)

MHFoundation Quarters 12-16-2011 12:04 PM

I think this is a great thread idea. There is quite a bit involved in caring for broods and foaling.

I can share what I do with mine BUT any prenatal program should be discussed and done under veterinary supervision. Not only is having the vet involved safer for your mare(s) but also allows them to somewhat be 'on call' knowing when your mare(s) are due and the potential to expect an emergency call. Mine came out for my last one at 4 am, she was at the farm in 20 minutes. Turned out to be nothing but it could have been serious.

Exam prior to breeding to insure health and reproductive soundness.

Ultrasound - initial at day 16 - to confirm if mare is in foal and to check for twins. Then a follow up 2-3 weeks later. After that I will schedule if something doesn't look or feel right.

Vaccines
Tetanus/Flu/EEE/VEE/WEE - annual and at 10 months
Rhino - 3,5,7,9 months
Rotavirus - 10 months
West Nile - annual

De-worming every 8 weeks (making sure one of those falls in the 10th month) and then again the day after foaling. Broodmares are the only ones I have on a regular deworming schedule, the rest are decided with fecals every 3 months.

Delivery kit - towels, gloves, cotton balls & chlorhexadine (to treat naval stump), thermometer, stethoscope - notebook/pen to record temps/heart rate if needed, time of birth, passing meconium, nursing, standing up.

Our foaling stalls are 16 x 24. We use straw for bedding for foaling. With shavings or sawdust you run the risk of it sticking to naval & causing infection as well as the foal breathing it in and causing pneumonia or worse.

Then there is nutrition for both mare & resulting foal - another area of many choices and varying opinions. Mine get Purina Ultium Growth, free choice minerals and quality timothy/orchard hay.

Exercise is another important consideration. I ride mine through their pregnancy up until they get really big and grumpy :wink:

After Foaling
-Treat umbilical stump (for 3 days after or until it dries up)
-Foal should stand within an hour
-Foal should nurse within the first 2 hours (my call point is 3, some will wait longer)
-Check placenta for any tears or abnormalities
-Check mare for any tears

Follow up vet appt within 48 hours, mare & foal both get examined, foal will get an IgG test and a selenium/vit e injection.

Druydess 12-16-2011 11:29 PM

Kait and MH- very good thread..
Though I have had foals before, it's always a good idea to get others' experience when one is expecting new babies.. :)
It is fascinating to watch each new foal become "real" viewed during US.
I'm sure others have seen this, but it is a great primer for the expecting mare..
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/AnimalSciences/pubs/asc112.pdf

MHFoundation Quarters 12-17-2011 10:34 AM

That's a great link Dru, thanks for adding that! Nutrition definitely is complicated, UKY does a pretty good job with their publications. I like their judging/confo manual as well, I use it for my lesson kids that are on judging teams.

Thought of 2 kit items I forgot, tarp or empty feed sacks to spread the placenta out on to check and a flashlight - to check mare & placenta.

Druydess 12-17-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters (Post 1269323)
That's a great link Dru, thanks for adding that! Nutrition definitely is complicated, UKY does a pretty good job with their publications. I like their judging/confo manual as well, I use it for my lesson kids that are on judging teams.

Thought of 2 kit items I forgot, tarp or empty feed sacks to spread the placenta out on to check and a flashlight - to check mare & placenta.

As an RN, I really spend much time teaching nutrition and its importance to my own patients, so it only make sense to me to stress that with pregnant mares. I really like how the UKY lays out the requirements and simplifies what is needed when. One of my mares just entered her seventh month, so she is receiving a bit more supplementation and seems to be doing very well with it. :)
Fortunately, our Vet lives 2 minutes away is a friend and stops by several times a week just to socialize, so we have quick back-up if we need it.
I also am exercising my mares through pregnancy. Just as with humans, a fit mother will aid an easier delivery.
Great idea re: the feed sacks! We have our kit ready and waiting..LOL

MHFoundation Quarters 12-17-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Druydess (Post 1269333)
Great idea re: the feed sacks! We have our kit ready and waiting..LOL

Feed sacks are my go to for that, tarp if I don't have empty bags laying around. With the sacks, it's convenient for disposal too!

Druydess 12-17-2011 10:57 AM

Here's a few other sites that have great lists/progression of pregnancy info/ and what to look for if there's a problem. Rather than re-inventing the wheel, I thought it may be helpful for someone to print out portions they may find pertinent.

Panorama Equine Medical & Surgical Center - Equine Health

http://coequinevets.com/newsletters/foaling.pdf

kait18 12-17-2011 01:32 PM

great info guys :)

Druydess 12-17-2011 07:13 PM

Anyone else out there have some good info/tips about broodmares/foaling/the first month after birth, etc.?

NdAppy 12-17-2011 08:12 PM

Is my mare overdue?

Foaling Sequence Photos

The book "http://www.amazon.com/Blessed-Brood-Howell-Equestrian-Library/dp/0876058489" is another must have.