The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What breed is my pony?

3K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Cinnys Whinny 
#1 ·
So here is my new boy. He is approx 10 years old, I know little to nothing about his background, previous training etc. I bought him from a woman desperate to rehome him and was more of a last ditch effort to keeping him out of the sale yard. She stated he was bought from a sale and she knew little about him. I assume he has been bounced around a bit.
He arrived a few weeks ago, untrusting, unsure of himself and everything around him. He has multiple bite scars on his neck and body, some newer...several older. Very food aggressive and somewhat worried. We've worked out most of the bugs...he is now very vocal and quick to come cantering up the field when I pull up, is doing far better about feed time and I believe he is enjoying being fussed over!
Along with not knowing little Scouts past, we of course are not sure exactly what Scout is. Not that it really matters but it is a fun guessing game! I of course have my idea of what the little monster might be...but what do you think? He is a short little guy at 14.1HH
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab90/cbeddingfield/horses/DSC_0137.jpg
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab90/cbeddingfield/horses/DSC_0176.jpg
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab90/cbeddingfield/horses/scout113.jpg
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab90/cbeddingfield/horses/scout52.jpg

See less See more
#3 ·
That is our guess too....maybe a little welsh in the mix too? Maybe not, but he is so little! Then again, I might just think he small considering he shares a field with this guy who is 16HH +/- but has a forever long neck so he dwarfs my pony! And little Scout was standing uphill from Skye
in this pic! LOL

#4 ·
I don't know much about Welsh ponies, so I can't really say :) I have seen really short Arabians in the 14 hand range before though, never seemed that out of the ordinary. He is super cute though :D

#5 ·
What an adorable little guy! I just love the chromey chestnut coloring he's got. And such a sweet face! Glad you got ahold of him, rather than the meat man or something like that.

He reminds me of a polish arabian. Sturdy but at the same time, very refined. But at the same time that could be a welsh x arab cross talking. Either way he's just the cutest!

#6 ·
Thanks so much guys! I think he's pretty cute! After the first couple of days of him being a total butthead I just kept reminding myself it seems he had had a tough go of it...he needed to get used to a whole new routine...blah, blah, blah...but mostly and if nothing else, his redeeming quality was cuteness!
He has made major improvements in attitude, so now his personality is getting closer to being as cute as his appearance...with just a few hiccups along the way! Nothing patience and persistence can't fix, right?!?!

#15 ·
Scout only ever looks Welsh...or something....to me in pics like this. I think it's the super thick, upright neck. He stands like this fairly often. Not only when he was just busted for getting ready to crib!!! Ugh! And it could just be me...he could be all arab for all I know. We play this same game with our rescue dogs! Maybe I'll get them DNA tested one day, just for the heck of it!

#18 ·
Oh I agree with you completely....and with his super pushy (atleast initially) attitude my guess was that he was gelded late! He is also the leader of the herd already, and his somewhat studdy manners may be what has landed him all of the lovely bite scars on his neck and body!
I am with you there, no worries! I mean really, he's a gelding...the only thing registration, or knowing lineage would do for me is give me a potential heads up to problems and an exact birthdate.
If he's all arab, I'm cool with that! He's a little guy, but I'm only 5'3" so that works just fine for me!

#21 ·
She is pretty! There are some similarities there. Skye is fairly narrow though, she looks like she has far more "substance" than he has! She has a far nicer rear end too! Skye is pretty angular I think, not knowing much about conformation, so I am sure that is not the proper term. We have been working on getting more weight on him though and it seems to be helping. He was pretty thin when he came here from the rescue, and was didn't seem to have much balance or strength. The poor thing couldn't even canter! He is getting more round in his butt and has a really nice ground covering canter now. Still working on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.