The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   HELP - Identify this saddle. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/help-identify-saddle-106454/)

sommsama09 12-17-2011 01:50 AM

HELP - Identify this saddle.

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,
Yesterday, I got a saddle for $40.50, and It was sold to me as a GP, but im wondering if any of you recognise what brand it is, and what it might have cost new, etc. Im in australia if that helps. ALSO how do i measure the saddle correctly, and how can i tell if it is mounted - i am asuming that it would be as it is a used saddle?

Thank you!! Can get more pics if required :)

I am sorry if the pictures are huge - they are ofr my camera that i have never used before - not great at still photos as it is a video camera :)

tinyliny 12-17-2011 03:22 AM

I am not certain but it looks a bit like an old fashioned English "Show Saddle".
Ask Faye.

Angelina1 12-17-2011 05:36 AM

It is a well used Indian Leather GP, made by Saddlecraft now and sell new, fully mounted for $299.00. The price you paid for a second hand one of these is about what they normal get.. as long as the tree is sound (you should get this looked at before putting it on a horse, also check all the stitching, as it looks like it is coming apart in a few places) - to measure the seat size, take a measuring tape and measure from the button at the front of the saddle to the middle of the cantle (the high part of the back of the seat). It also looks like it has the original leathers and Nickel plated Stirrups. Hope this helps..

sommsama09 12-17-2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelina1 (Post 1269217)
It is a well used Indian Leather GP, made by Saddlecraft now and sell new, fully mounted for $299.00. The price you paid for a second hand one of these is about what they normal get.. as long as the tree is sound (you should get this looked at before putting it on a horse, also check all the stitching, as it looks like it is coming apart in a few places) - to measure the seat size, take a measuring tape and measure from the button at the front of the saddle to the middle of the cantle (the high part of the back of the seat). It also looks like it has the original leathers and Nickel plated Stirrups. Hope this helps..

Thank you VERY much :) I will get it checked before placing it on any horse/s. Amazing reconising skills - again, thank you alot, and thank you to the above poster!

Angelina1 12-17-2011 08:02 AM

No worries, dealing with, buying, selling and knowing saddles etc is my job!! as I own two saddleries:lol:

sommsama09 12-17-2011 08:24 AM

Haha well you got the know how thatsfor sure :)

sommsama09 12-18-2011 01:06 AM

Angelina, are these saddles comfortable to ride in or not? Have you had any feedback from people who have/had them.. good or bad? I was reading another forum last night and one person said they were hard to find a horse that fit them well and they are best for wider and heavier horses...?

Tnavas 12-18-2011 01:37 AM

OP - definately an Indian made saddle of the earlier kind. Some are OK to ride in while others don't have the stirrupo bar recessed enough so they dig into your legs all the time.

The gullet plate is usually made of very thin metal so tha saddle is prone to spreading once you sit in it. As they are so cheap it is often better to get a new one rather than a second hand one.

TBH you wouold be best looking for a decent second hand saddle - one that has the saddlers name on a plate under the skirt.

sommsama09 12-18-2011 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tnavas (Post 1270211)
OP - definately an Indian made saddle of the earlier kind. Some are OK to ride in while others don't have the stirrupo bar recessed enough so they dig into your legs all the time.

The gullet plate is usually made of very thin metal so tha saddle is prone to spreading once you sit in it. As they are so cheap it is often better to get a new one rather than a second hand one.

TBH you wouold be best looking for a decent second hand saddle - one that has the saddlers name on a plate under the skirt.

Thank you, i was thinking of getting a different one for riding - one made to fit my horse, not some cheapy cruddy thing as i wouldnt want to hurt the horse. Thank you for your opinion.

Saddlebag 12-18-2011 09:08 AM

There's an easy way to check for a broken tree by holding the cantle of the saddle against your stomach and pulling the pommel toward you. If the tree is broken, you will definitely feel and see it as the seat will begin to fold. Usually, if a tree breaks, it is where the steel bridging of the pommel joins the wood seat frame. These cheaper saddles don't coat the wood trees which not only protects it from bugs but from warping or shrinkage due to weather changes. The steel is of poor quality. To test for this, try to squeeze the pommel together. If the steel is cracked, there will be movement as it seems to crack front to back. Your saddle is likely fine for flat work but don't add more risk if jumping. I've tried these saddles and felt propped up over the horses back compared to a quality saddle. The fit for the horse was ok.