The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   not sure if there is something I ought to be doing about this... (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/not-sure-if-there-something-i-106514/)

ThursdayNext 12-17-2011 09:12 PM

not sure if there is something I ought to be doing about this...

I'm putting this in the NH forum because that's the kind of training that's in use at my barn and that I've learned (to the extent that I've learned any training). I don't think that we're using any particular variant of NH, but when I read about NH I recognize the kind of work that I've been taught to do with the horses. Round pens, making the desired behavior the "easy" one and all other behaviors "hard", etc.

So my boy Huey can get pretty pushy. The people who had him before us used a chain shank over his nose because they had a hard time dealing with him. This, to me, is kind of mystery because it took my trainer 15 minutes to teach him (and another 10 to teach me) about Behaving On The Lead Rope. Every couple of weeks we spend 5 or 10 minutes just on ground work, just to make sure it's all staying front-and-center for both of us, and I have pretty much zero problems with how he behaves on the ground. It really wasn't very hard at all to get him to understand this, and why someone would rather go the chain-shank route instead of spending 15 minutes...well, I don't really get it. I'm sure there are explanations, but sheesh.

Here's the thing. I let him put his lips and tongue on me. I know this is a pretty hotly debated issue about whether you should do that at all, so I'm aware of the challenges, but he likes it, and I like it, and the Rule is that lips and licking are OK, teeth are NOT.

And he totally knows that teeth are not OK, which brings me to the issue at hand. Several times, he's been mouthing around on me and wound up delivering a little affectionate nip. He pinches me with his teeth...BUT before I can scold him for it, he's already acting like he's been scolded. So we'll be playing around while I'm grooming him and he gets a little carried away and goes 'nip' and then *immediately* he'll back quickly out of my space, pull his head back and roll his eyes and look exactly as he would if I flashed my hands up to get him to back off. Anything I could do to reprimand him for this, he's acting like I've already done this.

So my question is 1) what the heck? does anyone else's horse get in the pre-emptive "gosh I'm sorry I won't do that again" strike before the scolding even gets delivered? and 2) is there something I ought to be doing even while he's acting like I've already done something? Right now, it's all I can do not to bust out laughing.

It seems to me that I don't need to teach him that this is not OK, since he's already acting like he knows quite well it's not OK. He doesn't seem to be doing it with increasing frequency, so it's not like he's done it once or twice and then decided 'oh, I can get away with this, I should do it a lot more'. It's kind of like having a kid that cuts up and then before I can say anything, the kid goes "oops! I'll go to time out now!" and heads off. Like, what do you do with *that*?

SorrelHorse 12-17-2011 09:30 PM

With a horse like this, do NOT let him put his mouth on you! He OBVIOUSLY does NOT know teeth are "Not okay" if he's nipping you. If he's pulling away like he's been scolded, then he knows he's doing something wrong and deliberately disobeying you. If you don't scold him for that, then he's only thinking he's getting away with it and you are teaching him he can push you around.

I let my horse lick me too. But if he EVER even TRIED to bite me, there would be NO more licking. EVER.

tinyliny 12-17-2011 10:47 PM

If I reach over to pet my horse's muzzle or give him a treat or say goodby, he may lick me, since I put my hand in his face.
If I am tacking him up and he reaches around an puts his mouth on me, that is not ok. I did not invite him.

kevinshorses 12-17-2011 10:54 PM

Just let him keep doing it. It's cute and it proves you have a wonderful bond. It probably won't hurt much if he does bite you anyway.

usandpets 12-17-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 1270094)
Just let him keep doing it. It's cute and it proves you have a wonderful bond. It probably won't hurt much if he does bite you anyway.

It only hurts until the pain goes away
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 12-17-2011 11:42 PM

chuckles at home, far away.

Skyseternalangel 12-17-2011 11:45 PM

Bite back

MySissyGirl 12-18-2011 12:11 AM

A little nip can turn into worse. Be careful.

usandpets 12-18-2011 12:19 AM

My wife carried treats in her front pocket and her horse bit her in the the but leaving a nice sized bruise
Posted via Mobile Device

kevinshorses 12-18-2011 12:23 AM

Your wife must not have had a good bond with her horse. The OPs horse KNOWS not to use its teeth. He just gets carried away a little and forgets. He never uses his teeth except when he nips her just a little.