The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   ice (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/ice-106538/)

clio 12-18-2011 04:24 AM

ice

What would be safest option to clear the ice outside the stables as its both slippery for me and the horses. Is it ok to use rock salt or should I just use table salt as not sure what problems using these would cause the horses. What do you use? Thanks

Koolio 12-18-2011 08:03 PM

Oooh, I would like to know too!

xxGallopxx 12-18-2011 09:09 PM

Rock salt should be fine. You could also use chemicals, but personally, I wouldn't do that. You never know with horses...

Darrin 12-19-2011 12:23 AM

Rock salt is fine but just keep in mind where you spread. Salt and other de-icing chemicals are hard on the soil and green growing things. Just keep that in mind when spreading it. I would keep it confined to graveled areas where nothing but weeds grow anyway.

Maverick101 12-19-2011 12:56 AM

Not sure how large an area you're covering. But kitty litter works great. We have also used sand.
I use ice melt in areas around the doors, but in the larger areas such as paddocks and road ways we spread sand, and also use the kitty litter...the latter of course would work in a large area, but may not be cost effective. But works for smaller mid sized areas
Posted via Mobile Device

AvasMom 12-19-2011 02:24 AM

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but mixing water and vinegar is supposed to melt ice very well too, you could give it a try, it isn't harmful and is cheap.

draftgrl 12-19-2011 05:19 PM

Coming from ND, I have never heard of water and vinager put together. Besides, the water will then freeze, and then you have more ice. As Maverick said, sand, rock salt, or kitty liter are all good. The more coarse the better, I have even resorted to using straw or shavings on the ice areas.

mls 12-19-2011 05:45 PM

Table salt would get spendy in a hurry.

Most salts that are applied to any surface are 'safe' for animals and water shed areas. If in doubt, read the label prior to purchase.

Shavings are ok if you don't mind them blowing around or staying in place to hold the moisture.

Sand or salt would be the best.

Taffy Clayton 12-19-2011 05:53 PM

I have used ashes from the wood burning stove, not hot ashes of course. Doesn't really melt the ice but like sand it gives traction. Maybe mix with salt?

AvasMom 12-19-2011 07:48 PM

Alright, that's what I thought, the person who told me must be wrong then. I haven't tried it either so anyways... Second suggestion is definitely salt and shavings, that stuff always works.