The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Bucking....how and why?? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/bucking-how-why-10654/)

TurnNBurn17 06-26-2008 06:14 PM

Bucking....how and why??

hey okay so my horse sometimes is really random and bucks. today he had one of his random days and my trainer had me running poles and i only did it once and she wanted me to do it one more time and i didnt even get down to start the weave. like at the first part where you just run strait down well i ran down and whenever i sat down and used my inside leg he started bucking and they were not his normal buck once he really popped and kicket out high. its not that i cant stay on but i kept having to start over. i would correct him the second he did it and then go back and do it again. does anybody have any suggestions about how to fix this?? i have a rodeo sunday and i would really love to not have him buck lol
any advice is welcome!

RebelsRose 06-26-2008 07:23 PM

Could it be that his back is sore or incorrect saddle fitting??? I'm sorry I have no advice on how to keep a buck out of him....

TurnNBurn17 06-26-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebelsRose
Could it be that his back is sore or incorrect saddle fitting??? I'm sorry I have no advice on how to keep a buck out of him....

ya its crazy becaue he is perfectly sound! we had him worked on by a chiro a while ago but he is perfectly sound and i had my saddle checked and it fits him too,....i think more than anything he is just a butt head lol so what do you do to get a sour attitude away? :evil:

PoptartShop 06-26-2008 11:10 PM

Turn his head & also do circles, it's hard for horses to buck on an arc. ;)

TurnNBurn17 06-26-2008 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoptartShop
Turn his head & also do circles, it's hard for horses to buck on an arc. ;)

okaye! thanks! im going to try everything. so far i have stopped and backed him up the 2nd he does it that didnt work and then i jerked him down and that didnt work either so i guess its just a matter of trail and error lol

Angel_Leaguer 06-27-2008 03:14 PM

I had a horse that would do the same thing...I had turned the third barrel about halfway to the timer and she just blew up (I managed to stay on), The anouncer gave me a score of 74...

Im not sure why she did it but she would do it once and awhile at home too, After a few times I could start to feel her getting ready to buck so i would try to make her run out of it... if she still got a buck out on me I would make her pay for it by making her do extra work- circles, running, etc... she learned that it is more work to buck then to just do what was asked of her. it took some time though. Good Luck!!!

iridehorses 06-27-2008 03:14 PM

He could just be sour from the work. How often do you give him down time? Let him be a horse or take him for a trail ride - anything but arena work?

TurnNBurn17 06-27-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses
He could just be sour from the work. How often do you give him down time? Let him be a horse or take him for a trail ride - anything but arena work?

that was his first time back in the arena in 2weeks and when i do work him in the arena its only like twice a week. i give him lots and lots of down time....we go on trail rides..ride bareback...do something different like jumping ....go swimming in the lake ect

TurnNBurn17 06-27-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel_Leaguer
I had a horse that would do the same thing...I had turned the third barrel about halfway to the timer and she just blew up (I managed to stay on), The anouncer gave me a score of 74...

Im not sure why she did it but she would do it once and awhile at home too, After a few times I could start to feel her getting ready to buck so i would try to make her run out of it... if she still got a buck out on me I would make her pay for it by making her do extra work- circles, running, etc... she learned that it is more work to buck then to just do what was asked of her. it took some time though. Good Luck!!!

well since i couldnt get him to stop bucking at that last pole so i took him back up and put him in the round pen and schooled him a little more you know the thing were they go 3 around with out breaking?? thats what i did with him and he did latch on to me so i let him quit today i just rode bareback around and tomorrow i was gonna go to the lake but i have a rodeo on sunday do you think i should work him tomorrow ???

TurnNBurn17 06-27-2008 08:49 PM

okay this is kinda weird to ask but :oops:

do you think he could just be ermmm "gassy' and needs to buck to get it out of him? i was at a rodeo a while back and this girls horse bucket her off at the first barrel and he was tooting while bucking! my mom said he was tooting a lot before he started bucking.

and today when i turned him out he galloped down the chute which he usually doesnt do (usually just lopes and trots down) s he galloped down the chute and once he got into the pasture he just kept galloping and bucking like crazy!! and of course tooting!

do do you think he just wanted to bucking because he was a little gassy or i was thinking that maybe in the pasture today he just wanted to pop his back or something??
it is sooo not him he never just goes on a "fun run" in the pasture so this was very odd!