The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Most stupid injury possible! (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/most-stupid-injury-possible-106561/)

DancingWithSunny 12-18-2011 03:49 PM

Most stupid injury possible!

I was setting up to ride Bella the other day so I'm standing on the mounting block with her next to me, my dad holding onto her. I put my leg over and accidentally caught her back with my foot, which startled her and she moved. This normally wouldn't have been an issue, but I didn't manage to get my foot back. So I had one foot on the mounting block and one almost over her and when she moves I almost do the splits in the air and end up flat on my face with my ankle all twisted. My dad took me to a&e because I couldn't move it and they ended up a having to give me gas and air to cut it off, my ankle was super swollen and an x-ray showed I'd broken it. So now I'm in plaster for at least 6 weeks. And I didn't even fall off the horse! I fell off the flaming mounting block! Does anyone have any stories of stupid injuries to make me feel better?

lubylol 12-18-2011 05:33 PM

Omg that's kinda silly sounding :p I hope you feel better!

Mine isn't horse related but it sure it stupid lol. I was riding a scooter about 5 years ago and I wanted to go over a bump, and went on it and completely flipped! I sprained my elbow and was only about 10 years old lol
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingWithSunny 12-18-2011 05:36 PM

Seems ankles are commonly injured by stupidity.
I just realised in my post I wrote 'cut it off' lol, 'it' means my boot, not my ankle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saranda 12-18-2011 05:50 PM

Oh, stupid injuries. You love me so. I've had one that's quite similar, actually! Not long after I had taken up riding, I had to mount a mare without the help of my trusty mounting block. So, what do I do? Of course, find a chair. So, I move the horse right besides the chair, climb up, try mounting...and, as I had not been smart enough to place the chair where the terrain is even, I fell. With the chair. My foot in the stirrup. The chair fell on me and bruised one of my knees quite impressively. Of course, I didn't give up. I place the chair - again, in the exact same spot - climb it, try mounting the horse....fall down with the chair, the chair lands on my legs (don't ask - how, I think it had it's own evil plan) and cuts the other knee nice and deep. Meanwhile, the horse is standing still and looking down on me with a face that just yells out - you're stupid or what?!

I've still got a scar from that cut.

Golden Horse 12-18-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingWithSunny (Post 1270838)
I just realised in my post I wrote 'cut it off' lol, 'it' means my boot, not my ankle.

:rofl: Thank goodness you cleared that up, I was worried there.

InStyle 12-18-2011 06:56 PM

I was standing in my hotel room in Mexico with barefeet, and I guess they were wet, and I turned slipped on the wet tile floor, landed right on my foot and broke 2 bones in my foot. At least it was at the end of the vacation!!!!! Sigh :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Cacowgirl 12-18-2011 07:40 PM

I thnk we need some bubble wrap here!

mishap 12-18-2011 09:17 PM

Bubble wrap and full face helmets....The story of my life, and a gene I seem to have passed on to my son. haha

MHFoundation Quarters 12-18-2011 09:24 PM

I was 10ish, was at a friend's house. We wanted to go ice skating but there was a ton of snow on the pond. We got snow shovels and were cleaning, I was standing behind her when she swung the shovel over her shoulder. She cracked me in the face & broke my nose. She gave me a snow shovel for a wedding gift....

Then there was the time my dad was walking with my sister & I, an arm around each of our shoulders. Messing around like he was going to bang our heads together and my sister loses her balance and head butts me. Had a nice black eye from that one.

Poseidon 12-18-2011 09:25 PM

If it makes anyone feel better, I got a minor concussion on Tuesday while bending over to grab my leadrope off the ground and my mare smacked me in the top of the head with her head. Yep. Real pathetic. Especially for my first concussion.