The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Anybody ever had a problem while trotting (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/anybody-ever-had-problem-while-trotting-106565/)

blessed 12-18-2011 03:54 PM

Anybody ever had a problem while trotting

I purchased what was suppose to be a dead broke horse to find out he was as green as a turnip.I have had him for 8 months now and worked relentless with him but not without problems as some of you know such as charging ect ect...

I have been riding him 3 times a week I now have him neck reining stopping and backing up good walking trotting and cantering .

Today while we were trail riding around the property as we do 3 times a week when I wanted him to trot he pinned his ears pulled his head up turned his head to the left and kicked out with his left rear.when I tried to get him to walk by squeezing him he pinned his ears again.so I started neck reining turning him to get him to walk off. Has anyone else encountered this before? what is the best way to deal with this and correct this problem?

This is the first horse that I have had that was a fighter the more you correct or get on to him the more aggressive he becomes in most circumstances.And yes he is gelded... thanks for any and all input..

lubylol 12-18-2011 03:58 PM

Were you using any different tack? Maybe the saddle or saddle pad was irritating him. Sometimes there have been sawdust or something under the pad causing a horse to buck.

Have you ever had problems with him doing this before ?
Posted via Mobile Device

drop_your_reins 12-18-2011 03:59 PM

Sounds like it may be a pain issue. I'm assuming your in a western saddle? I would have your tack professionally checked, if nothing turns up I would have a vet or chiropractor check him, particularly is his back. He's not lame otherwise? Is this a recurring problem or was that the first time? Did you do anything different in this session? (use a different saddle or bit, ride on a new trail, etc.)

Did you check him for girth and/or saddle sores?

blessed 12-18-2011 04:18 PM

Thanks guys no he has never done this before same tack as always.I was thinking it was attitude but maybe i'm wrong .

lubylol 12-18-2011 04:24 PM

It could be his attitude! Or maybe it's just that he's green. Checkers would do a kick at the canter when I first started riding him and couldn't canter more than 10 strides, now we can go all around the ring :)
Posted via Mobile Device

blessed 12-18-2011 05:58 PM

He was standing still when he kicked and penned his ears.. I was just wondering had anybody else experienced this. I have checked all the tack and am 90 % sure it's not pain ,but of course the horse can't talk...

drop_your_reins 12-18-2011 06:06 PM

Well, I think its something like 95% of horses work in pain due to ill fitting tack. But he could be green, he could have been having an off day. Maybe he smelled something (bear, fox, coyote, etc.) he didn't like in the woods? If the problem continues, I would consider pain as a real option.

Skyseternalangel 12-18-2011 06:12 PM

He could have been testing you.. was it a one time thing? What did you do about it?

blessed 12-18-2011 07:30 PM

It's the first time under saddle he has done it,as far as what i did about it> I yelled @ him and told him to cut it out! any suggestions to what i should have done.

Skyseternalangel 12-18-2011 07:35 PM

Well just keep him moving forward would be the best :) I hope it was a one time thing.. where did he do it,, in the arena, trail.. ?