The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Riding And Friends (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/riding-friends-106569/)

Cruiser 12-18-2011 05:50 PM

Riding And Friends

I apologize for all the threads but I have no idea what to do.

I was watching a really good friend ride someone's horse (for exercise), but I noticed a few things that made me cringe every time she did it. The horse is rode in a tom thumb, the horse went fine in it for the most part, but she got tense and would pull back and up. The pony is overly sensitive any how would fling his head back and speed up. Than she started sawing the rains back and forth and direct reining harsher than needed. The more she sawed the harder the pony threw his head back, he lost his nice little jog and went into an erratic trot of sorts.

The problem was I mentioned maybe she should lower her hand, and let him relax and try again, loose reins, neck rein, just suggest (not all at once). In the end I said sorry if I bothered her and shut up. She didn't say anything but I was surprised, because the owner had told her you saw on the saws to get "collection", and that collection is the head tucked and lower. I always believed collection and on the bit came for correct aids and good riding, driving from behind, not pulling on the reins.

Pony was having trouble at the lope too, he kept switching leads at the canter on the long sides, she couldn't keep him on one for long. She didn't know or wasn't able to tell leads.

She use to have such quiet hands and legs, now I don't know, should I say something, she is a really good friend and have ridden almost the same length of time (me 13 years her 10 or so). To watch her become worst is strange, but I don't think she believes me. I don't want a fight, but the last thing I want is her to get hurt because the horse had enough, the pony is already nasty on the ground. It is none of my business but were close friends, I don't even know why she is tense when riding.

mildot 12-18-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruiser (Post 1270852)
the owner had told her you saw on the saws to get "collection", and that collection is the head tucked and lower.

Neither the owner nor the rider have an earthly clue what collection means or is.

Quote:

I always believed collection and on the bit came for correct aids and good riding, driving from behind, not pulling on the reins.

You are correct. Add lots and lots of training and conditioning to achieve true collection.

Quote:

the last thing I want is her to get hurt because the horse had enough, the pony is already nasty on the ground. It is none of my business but were close friends, I don't even know why she is tense when riding.

As much as it sucks for pony to be ridden in such a stupid and crude way, you probably just need to back out and let pony tell rider when he's had enough the hard way.

Cruiser 12-18-2011 08:28 PM

Thanks I guess I should back out, now I think about it though this is the same pony that fractured her foot last year. It is hard though she is a really close friend since forever, and never would intentionally hurt an animal, she just believes what she was told. I am not good at handling situations that are preventable but help isn't wanted, sadly I am a very blunt person and tend to say what comes to mind.

Oh and sorry I realized I used horse and pony changeably, it is the same one but he is a paint horse, that never grew, only 14 hh on long hooves.

twh 12-18-2011 08:53 PM

What discipline is she doing? Is she leasing this pony?
Posted via Mobile Device

Cruiser 12-18-2011 08:56 PM

She is exercising the pony because the owner runs her own business 6 days a week 8 to as late as she needs too. I think they are suppose to riding western, at least that is what the tack is, not so much the gaits. If that makes sense.

twh 12-18-2011 09:16 PM

Are they training for any specific discipline (WP, reining, etc.) or is he just a pleasure/trail horse?

What sort of instruction has your friend had?
Posted via Mobile Device

mildot 12-18-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruiser (Post 1271027)
he is a paint horse, that never grew, only 14 hh on long hooves.

That makes him a pony. Anything lower than 14.2hh is a pony.

MyBoyPuck 12-18-2011 10:11 PM

In my experience, solicited advice is usually welcome. Unsolicited advice is almost never welcome.

Yes, neither the horse's owner nor rider have a clue about what constitutes collection, but it's nobody's business but theirs.

Cruiser 12-19-2011 07:54 AM

The pony really isn't trained anything, I think she is trying western pleasure, but they also ride him English pleasure also. He trail rides too, so a bit of everything. What I meant was she was riding him with western tack, but he wasn't jogging or loping, but trotting and cantering. My friend has rode at the same stable for 10 years, frankly I got out of there 4 years ago due to accidents and never progressing. After than I've rode at a jumper barn, and now with help from a dressage instructor when I can.

I am not trying to bash my friend, trainer or owner, just I don't know if I should tell her I am worried about what she is doing, or let her find out the hard way. From what is said I should let her get hurt, or hopefully there is a light bulb moment in there.

mildot 12-19-2011 08:20 AM

Not to be nitpicky but the correct form of the past perfect of the verb "ride" is "had ridden", not "had rode".

English Verbs - Example Sentences of the Verb Ride