The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Clicker training and fetch (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/clicker-training-fetch-106581/)

lauraetco 12-18-2011 08:26 PM

Clicker training and fetch

Has anyone ever used a clicker for training?

I just used one today for the first time and had a good experience. I want to train my horse to fetch...lol. In just under an hour, I was able to train him to go to the object that I threw and put his nose on it. I used a small frisbee-like thing and a small pylon.

Step two will be to get him to pick up the object and step three will be to get him to bring it back. All the while, I will phase out the food treat and replace it with only a click.

Has anyone ever taught their horse to fetch?

What other fun tricks does your horse do?

Skyseternalangel 12-18-2011 08:32 PM

I've clicker started my horse a few times. But I've not done more than touching his nose to a few cones spread across the arena. He's VERY motivated by food.

Saddlebag 12-18-2011 10:13 PM

I've used clicker training to get a horse over a sticky issue in conjunction with liberty training.

Skyseternalangel 12-18-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1271141)
I've used clicker training to get a horse over a sticky issue in conjunction with liberty training.

Liberty training?

OuttatheBlue 12-18-2011 10:40 PM

I've never heard of clicker-training a horse (thought that was just dogs, hehe) but the title made me remember a guy from one of my old barns. He had the COOLEST horse ever, who knew how to fetch! He would be loose in the arena, and the guy would throw his halter away from him and the horse would pick it up and bring it back. He could throw the leadrope, a ball, whatever as long as the horse was able to pick it up with his mouth. I always made him show me it again whenever I was at the barn.

So it IS doable! Good luck, and be sure to post a video of it when you're done!