The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Maybe a stupid question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/maybe-stupid-question-106622/)

seven 12-19-2011 09:52 AM

Maybe a stupid question

If I can ride my horse with a halter and lead rope, then why would I want to put a bit in her mouth?
Posted via Mobile Device

ichliebepferde 12-19-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seven (Post 1271634)
If I can ride my horse with a halter and lead rope, then why would I want to put a bit in her mouth?
Posted via Mobile Device

Every horse is different, if you can ride your horse with a halter in lead rope, great :] then don't put a bit in her mouth.
I can also ride my horses with halters and lead ropes, but I like to use the bit to get them to do certain things, like flexing, giving her head, etc. That's more difficult to do in a halter.

Speed Racer 12-19-2011 10:04 AM

If all you want to do is plod around and never teach your horse properly, keep using a halter and lead lines.

It's like trying to do delicate, close work while wearing gloves. The bit isn't a torture device, it's used for communication between horse and rider.

seven 12-19-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1271654)
If all you want to do is plod around and never teach your horse properly, keep using a halter and lead lines.

It's like trying to do delicate, close work while wearing gloves. The bit isn't a torture device, it's used for communication between horse and rider.

Posted via Mobile Device

seven 12-19-2011 10:59 AM

Maybe that should be bosal or bit?
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 12-19-2011 11:06 AM

My horses didn't like the pressure on nose. They both preferred the bit. As already stated it greatly depends on horse, discipline, and training. If you can control your horse with halter just fine, and you both enjoy it, and you don't plan to show, then why not?

seven 12-19-2011 11:35 AM

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 12-19-2011 11:36 AM

A bit isn't cruel if you use it properly. If you are planning to show at all then you'll have to be able to ride your horse in a bit. If you are just plugging around the house then it really doesn't matter other then the fact that you don't have much control with a halter and lead rope if the horse does decide to have a moment of temporary insanity. If you are deadset against a bit then you could try a hackamore but those can be way more harsh then a bit depending on the rider....

DuffyDuck 12-19-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 1271750)
A bit isn't cruel if you use it properly. If you are planning to show at all then you'll have to be able to ride your horse in a bit. If you are just plugging around the house then it really doesn't matter other then the fact that you don't have much control with a halter and lead rope if the horse does decide to have a moment of temporary insanity. If you are deadset against a bit then you could try a hackamore but those can be way more harsh then a bit depending on the rider....

This bit.

If your horse works in what he's happy- don't fix it. I prefer bit, I have ridden my horse back from the field in a headcollar and it doesn't suit me.

If you have a bit, or you have a hackamore, or a bit of string, its not what it is, its how you use it.

henia 12-19-2011 01:19 PM

In my opinion you can teach your horse properly just with a halter and lead rope. Why not?