The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   HDR vs Crosby leathers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/hdr-vs-crosby-leathers-106627/)

Piper182 12-19-2011 10:49 AM

HDR vs Crosby leathers

Hi. I own an 11 year old Collegiate Graduate saddle. I've had it for 8 years. When I bought it, I bought Crosby stirrup leathers to go with it. Finally, after 8 years, the leathers are starting to break.

I have looked online and similar 48" Crosby leathers are about $100. But I saw also, on the same sites, that 48" HDR leathers are like $35.

I'm confused. I was under the impression that HDR is far better than Crosby, but the price doesn't mirror that. The HDR leathers are being sold as children's, but that seems to be the only difference.

Does anyone know why the HDR leathers would be so much cheaper? Thanks

ErikaLynn 12-19-2011 10:55 AM

No Crosby is way better leather quality then HDR. Children's leathers are not priced less then regular leathers either.

Quixotic 12-23-2011 01:18 AM

Actually, children's leathers usually are less expensive, because they take less material to make. I have short legs, so I save money by purchasing children's leathers. But yes, Crosby is better quality than HDR. I've personally always thought that HDR products seemed a bit cheaply made.

Black Beauty 94 12-26-2011 09:54 PM

I say go with Pessoa lined ones for around $80

ErikaLynn 12-26-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quixotic (Post 1276746)
Actually, children's leathers usually are less expensive, because they take less material to make. I have short legs, so I save money by purchasing children's leathers. But yes, Crosby is better quality than HDR. I've personally always thought that HDR products seemed a bit cheaply made.

Where I live they aren't. I just bought my sister a pair a children's leathers and they were the same price as full size. I thought they would be cheaper, but no
Posted via Mobile Device

Quixotic 12-27-2011 03:00 PM

Huh, weird. Although maybe it varies by brand. I tend to always purchase Stubben or Courbette.

reiningfan 01-04-2012 03:25 AM

Another option would be to go with leathers by Gary Mundy. Very well thought of, reasonably priced and he'll custom make them so that they closely match your saddle. You can email him at gleather@rtccom.net He will send you all the information you need to decide which type of leathers to order.

upnover 01-08-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErikaLynn (Post 1281125)
Where I live they aren't. I just bought my sister a pair a children's leathers and they were the same price as full size. I thought they would be cheaper, but no
Posted via Mobile Device

It depends on the brand, not your location. Sometimes they're the same, sometimes they're cheaper. I also buy childrens stirrups.

I don't think HDR stirrups are bad, but they aren't nearly as nice in quality as the Crosbys. They won't fall apart in a month or anything but most likely you will have to replace them sooner. It's a matter of how much you want to spend.

kcscott85 01-08-2012 07:08 PM

I have HDR leathers (came with my saddle). I've had them on my saddle for 1 1/2 years and they look the same as the day I got the saddle. The girl I got the saddle from said she owned it (with the leathers) for 3 years. Soooo...I would have to say they're good quality. Of course, I religiously clean and condition my saddle and leathers, so that makes a difference.